Is the 2.8 MBP worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicksellshondas, Oct 22, 2008.

1. nicksellshondas macrumors newbie

I have a 2.2 C2D MacBook Pro 15" with 4GB ram and a 200GB 7200rpm hard drive. I have the itch to upgrade.

Am I going to regret going for a 2.4/4GB/320@7200 combo? Is it worth the extra $445 for the 2.8? Is the 2.4 not going to feel like that big of a difference compared to my current computer? I mean, there's nothing really that my MBP can't do, it's just that I want the new one and I feel like I should go for the speed upgrade at the same time. But I don't want to spend the extra money if it's not a huge difference.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Save your money for the next round unless you life depends on having the new model.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Like I told the last poster who asked that, you can get an entire laptop with the money you save.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Skip a generation, it'll save you money and make the upgrade worthwhile.

5. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

If I was you and already had a perfectly good MBP I would wait until the next revision for the bugs and stuff to be ironed out with the new design and possibly some speed bumps etc.... If you really want to upgrade I would probably say get the 2.8 to make it worthwhile.... but I still wouldn't upgrade.

I ordered a 2.8 but my situation is different because I am actually macless at the moment.

6. nicksellshondas thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok how about this. Compared to my 2.2 C2D, am I going to notice the difference between either of them and my current computer? Keep in mind I am talking about the 2.4 vs the 2.8, not the 2.53 as I don't see the point of that model. Either you want the extra goodies or you don't.

I usually upgrade my laptop once a year, and I've had this one for just over a year. I've had 2 Al PowerBooks, CD MBP and 2 C2D MBPs since the Alum 15 came out in 2003, so it's not a _need_ issue by any means.

That said, I would like to feel a speed upgrade. Does the faster ram make any difference?

7. nicksellshondas thread starter macrumors newbie

The other factor I am thinking about is that my current MBP is a year old already, and if I am trying to get the most for it on ebay, I should sell it now rather than later, right? I usually prefer to buy the first of the new model, then the third or fourth revision of that one (1.5-2 years later).

8. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

I'm going from the 2.4 last year to the 2.53, it's faster as there is more then just the CPU speed bump. It will be a bit faster to the 2.8 but not a lot. I've upgraded because I simply hate the heat, the keyboard of the last gen systems. I'm hoping for good battery life also.
    I suppose it depends on what you do with the system as to weather you will notice a big difference or not.
    Going from the 2.2 to the 2.8 will give you noticeably faster performance I would think though s it's a bigger jump. The 2.4 not as much but it will still be a little bit quicker.

9. blurfonz macrumors regular

you should know one can never catch up with technology, that is to say...Buy what you can afford :) if you can afford the 2.8 by all means get it ! Its definitely faster.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you are going to buy a machine every year, by all means burn as much cash as you can and get the 2.8

11. hyeg35 macrumors newbie

hyeg35

Only reason I got it on mine is because i got my ADC discount. I got my 2.8 with the 320gb 7200 for $2469 out the door.

12. nicksellshondas thread starter macrumors newbie

The way I upgrade, selling them on ebay I usually can get the brand new one for less than $1000 out of pocket. Usually closer to $500-600. That's worth it to me every year to year and a half.