Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arlo1@mac.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
In other words, if I have about a year left on my current contract, I understand that I can still upgrade to iPhone now (AT & T FAQ says that all existing customers can upgrade). My question (which doesn't seem clear from AT & T FAQ, or browsing these forms) is whether getting an iPhone will ADD time to the current contract, or replace it? In other words -- does this mean my 1 year currently owed will become two years from date of new contract or will it become 3?

A related question -- my wife is now eligible for an AT & T upgrade and can get a Treo 680 for $99. If the iPhone contract REPLACES rather than adds on to current contract, I'm thinking she should get the $99 Treo, sell it on eBay for $250 (which it seems they go for, easily), and then immediately upgrade to an iPhone. If the iPhone contract simply replaces past contract, then this means she's getting a cheap Treo plis iPhone for 2 year committment.

Thoughts? I've been a long-time reader of these forums, but first post.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
You're best bet I think is to call a local AT&T Corporate store (not an authorized dealer) and ask them. They will know best (hopefully).

SmartAlx

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
It will reset your contract date. A little known fact though, it will NOT reset the date for you being eligible for a reduced price on an upgraded phone. We are all elligible for an upgraded phone after 18 months after we sign our contracts. So since you originally signed a year ago, in 6 months you'll be able to tell them that you want another phone in addition to your iphone and get the reduced (new contract) price on the phone. Of course you'll have to renew your contract again then, and the 2 year contract will reset again, but hey! You get a cheap second phone that you can ebay. I'm going to do that in 2 months when I'm eligible.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
It will reset your contract date. A little known fact though, it will NOT reset the date for you being eligible for a reduced price on an upgraded phone. We are all elligible for an upgraded phone after 18 months after we sign our contracts. So since you originally signed a year ago, in 6 months you'll be able to tell them that you want another phone in addition to your iphone and get the reduced (new contract) price on the phone. Of course you'll have to renew your contract again then, and the 2 year contract will reset again, but hey! You get a cheap second phone that you can ebay. I'm going to do that in 2 months when I'm eligible.

How would you use the second phone? Could you take the sim card from the iphone and put it in it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.