Is the 20% battery death on iPhone 5 fixed in 7.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by johannnn, Dec 28, 2013.

1. johannnn, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

As many iPhone 5 users my battery dies at ~20% after updating to iOS7.
    Any people with this happening to them, is this fixed in 7.1 beta?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Battery dying issues are not caused by a defect in iOS version 7.x

It is an issue that is surfacing from an anomaly from updating to a previous iOS.

In other words, unless your battery is physically defective you should have no issues at all if your restore your phone through iTunes as NEW and do NOT restore a backup that may contain corrupted information that is most likely causing the battery drain.

3. Altis macrumors 68020

Bold statement, as many here have done exactly as you've said, and still have the issue. Never had any battery issues on previous versions of iOS.

I've even gone so far as to set up as new phone, and re-enter every one of my contacts, changed all the settings, etc, in an attempt to have the cleanest possible OS. Still dies at a random number between 5% and 25% for me.

Funny thing is, even when it restarts when I plug it in, it still shows that same number again. It will also stall and drop by ~12% at once often enough.

Basically it's completely unreliable once I'm under 30%. I hope 7.1 fixes it. I'd go back to 6 if I could while waiting for these bugs to be addressed.

4. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Huh what are you even talking about? If an upgrade brought an "anomaly" with it, then a new upgrade (7.1) could remove that "anomaly".

5. FreeStyLeMaSTeR macrumors member

Could be completely nonsense but maybe all iphone 5 models had a kind of defect so apple discontinued it and replaced it with iphone 5c

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

One that was not present in iOS 6 though?

7. FreeStyLeMaSTeR macrumors member

Idk really. My iphone 5 started having the exact issue and no matter what i did, it was the same result. So i upgraded to 5S now.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Have you been following this forum for the last 4-5 months? Battery issues have been inconsistent across the board when people would move from one build of iOS 7 to another.

- Some people who had great battery life started seeing a battery drain when they updated to the next version
    - Some people who had a battery drain problem saw it improve in the next version
    - Some people who had a battery drain problem still experienced in the next version.

As for me:

Beta 1 was ok
    Beta 2 was ok
    Beta 3 my battery started draining faster than usual
    Beta 4 did not fix my battery issue so I restored as NEW to resolve it
    Beta 5 was ok
    Beta 6 was ok
    GM was just fine

When I restored to official release (I know GM was official) the battery problem came back again and the only way to resolve it was to do a DFU restore.

All I'm saying is the next version release of iOS 7 may or may not fix battery problems that's all. Telling people it will is misleading.

7.1 Beta 1 and 2 for me seemed normal. I just recently restored back to iOS 7.0.4 as NEW and now I'm seeing battery drain again.

Fun stuff :rolleyes:

9. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

Restoring as new *sorta* improved things for me. Instead of dying at any time under 35% (but never seeing it get below 20% before it powered down), I can now reliably get under about 12% before it powers down. The lowest I have seen my battery hit was 7%. One exception...one day my battery indicator went from 75% to 1% and then stayed at 1% for over 5 hours before the phone shut down. Ha.

Had my phone "tested" at an Apple store and was told my battery was close to failure, but not quite there yet, so have a nice day.

10. rkoshack macrumors member

My iPhone 5 had this problem where it would get down under 20% and instantly would drop to 7% or something and not long after it would shut off completely. Then I'd plug it in and it would turn on right away and be at 20%. Took it in to the Apple Store, they tested it and confirmed it was a failing battery. They replaced for free, out of warranty I might add. This is not an iOS 7 issue

11. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Just kinda weird that all iPhone 5 batteries started to die when they upgraded to iOS 7

12. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Haven't had any problems with battery life, neither on iOS 6 nor iOS 7. Just last night I ran my iPhone 5 down to 4 %.

I think there's no point in assuming every iPhone 5 is having the issues the OP has reported.

13. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem and I am on iOS 6.1.2, but my phone is jailbroken. This could be a battery issue that is beyond a software fix.

----------

Thank you for sharing. I am going to restore my phone back to stock and take it to Apple. I have an extended warranty with square trade and if need be I will use it. If Apple exchanges my phone out of warranty, then that will be ideal.

----------

Was the phone out of warranty?

14. jamesnajera macrumors 6502

My iPhone 5 had this issue with iOS 6. It would usually happen after taking a picture. I took it into an Apple store and they replaced it. Anyone with this issue may want to get it checked out.

15. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Is yours doing it even when you are only on wifi? Mine behaves normally if I'm in wifi all day. If I'm using LTE the battery drops weirdly. I've restored as new twice and tested enough where I know this is consistent data. The other day I got 7 hours 42 minutes of usage out of my year old i5 on ios 7.0.4 all on wi fi. If I'm using LTE he battery meter is all messed up and reports it wrong. Somebody else with an I5 try it on LTE only and see if theirs is weird on that too. Sometimes it does it if I'm using the camera or something else that uses more power. It's gotta be a bug. Ios 6.1 was fine for me and I was jailboken. I took the plunge to ios 7.0.4 and I immediately noticed this. I'm pretty OCD about my standby and usage times as it is and I noticed it right away! I've gone though the full charge cycles and all that stuff too. I hope 7.1 quietly fixes this one too. I've seen this so many time over so many different forums. They should be aware of the issue.

16. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Mine last less than an hour :mad: so freaking pissed

17. ToyGun1 macrumors 6502

Same Problem here too iphone 5 keeps shutting off around 7% no problems with iphone 5s.

18. Altis macrumors 68020

I haven't tried being on wifi as I'm not usually home for a full day, and there's no wifi for me at work or other places really.

Mine is a 4S anyways, so it doesn't have LTE. The girlfriend's 5 is safely on iOS 6, which although looks dated in some places (mostly the keyboard), is absurdly fast and stable even compared to the 5S and iPad Air. Don't seem to have the same issues with battery on those two devices, although they often shut down around 5-7%. The 5 is only a 16 GB though, so having iOS 7 predownloaded/unpacked really eats into her available space.

19. imagineadam, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

imagineadam macrumors 6502a

My wife has the 5 and hasn't updated also and plans not to and has the space taken up to but her phone works great and fast just like your girlfriends!

My phone has now been stuck on 1% for about 1 hour. Just waiting. For it to shut off sometime. Grumble grumble. I just want an accurate battery meter! I shouldn't have to get a new phone or battery for it like many others have supposedly done!

Did a reboot back to 12%... Aiiyiiyii

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

On my former iPhone 5 (I recently switched to a 5S) this strange and annoying issue happened just one time: at 21% during an iMessage the phone shut itself off.
    The only other anomaly I experienced was a time when the battery dropped quite fast at 15% and then remained at 15% for almost 3 hours (and I was using the phone!).
    Other than that, the battery indicator was ok on 7.0.4 (restored as new).

What I did experience without any doubts was a shorter battery life with iOS 7, at least 1-2 hours less than iOS 6 (I always speak about usage).

21. dcp10 macrumors 6502

This problem persists for too many users who've upgraded to 7 for it not being related. Given this issue seems to be largely in the 5, my guess is that there is any issue with how iOS 7 interprets the battery data.

I've been hoping for a software fix since the beta with nothing coming so far. At this point I've decided to replace the battery, which I'll be doing later this week.

22. dcp10 macrumors 6502

Bingo! The 5 is a flawed design from how it handles radio signals, manages power, and a variety of physical defects. When the 5S was announced Apple could have gone with what has been the traditional route of dropping the previous model done a tier and adding "now available in colors!" They didn't and I think is obvious why.

23. Altis macrumors 68020

They could have just silently fixed the issue... and the problem exists on 4S as well. I could be wrong, but I think the issue lies in the actual service that monitors and calculates the battery life, based on my own experiences.

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Do you have proofs for what are you saying ? Because as far as signal network is concerned, I was very happy of my iPhone 5 .... and I had no physical defects at all.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure what actual widespread defects the 5 has. As for 5C, given that the internals are practically the same as the 5 and the price points would have been the same, simply from a business perspective it wouldn't have made sense for Apple to keep it I production and essentially in competition with the 5C--that's really the main thing that's obvious about it.