Is the 20" Cinema Display still a good buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SteelBlueTJ, Dec 1, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

My 24" LED Cinema display doesn't work all that great with my Mac Pro. I have to use a mini display extension due to the short cord. I get random blackouts and it's very annoying. It pretty much works when it wants to. usually I can get it to come on by unplugging it and plugging it back in, but that's annoying to have to do each time. I tried installing the firmware update and it's already installed all available updates. It's a great display when it works, but the blackouts are just making me mad especially when I'm in the middle of doing something. I've been looking at some 20" aluminum cinema displays on eBay. Ones that are in excellent condition and whatnot. I already have one as a 2nd monitor and I'm very happy with it, so I've been thinking about picking up another one to replace my 24. The thought of losing 4" of screen real estate on my main display kind of depresses me, but maybe after a day or so I'll get used to it and won't even notice the loss. I don't have the desk space or budget for the 27, plus I'm just not crazy about the glossy display. That's another thing that bugs me about my 24 right now. My room has 2 big windows. Also, I don't like the 23" aluminum model. I bought one already a few months ago and it had that horrible pinkish cast in the screen. As far as I've seen, the 20" model seems to be much less prone to that problem. So do you think it's a wise purchase considering the aluminum displays are getting up there in age now? What would you do in my situation?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I can't see going from 24 to 20" I'd go with 24 or better 27.

I have one computer for my kids that has a 20" and another for 24". The 20" is just too small when you've worked on a 24"

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

4. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816