Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
I've been waiting over a year for the new MBPs but I have been slightly underwhelmed.
I could now get a second hand 2015 model: 2.9 ghz processor, 16gb ram and 512gb storage for less than the price of a base non touch 2016 MBP (1500€). So it looks better on paper, but I'm not sure about the gpu, benchmarks really show quite the difference between the iris 540 or 550 and last year's iris 6100. What kind of real life use difference can I expect?

And yea I prefer thin and space gray, but full blown ports would still be useful for some years. Also battery life of the touch bar version looks quite bad, how much does the 2015 version have on average?

bobosing316

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
The thing that i fear most of getting the old units (even brand new from apple) are the battery life. Batteries tends to die off faster sometimes

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
The thing that i fear most of getting the old units (even brand new from apple) are the battery life. Batteries tends to die off faster sometimes

Well that's just (battery) life, everything degrades eventually. But the machine I am talking about is a little over a year old and I plan on using it for around 2 years.

Edit: I think I'm gonna pull the trigger, I could save over 900 euro for the specs I want, they're only a little bit slower. And I could sell it for a reasonable amount of money 2 years down the road.

Thanks for reading what I'm actually thinking to myself.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I've been waiting over a year for the new MBPs but I have been slightly underwhelmed.
I could now get a second hand 2015 model: 2.9 ghz processor, 16gb ram and 512gb storage for less than the price of a base non touch 2016 MBP (1500€). So it looks better on paper, but I'm not sure about the gpu, benchmarks really show quite the difference between the iris 540 or 550 and last year's iris 6100. What kind of real life use difference can I expect?

And yea I prefer thin and space gray, but full blown ports would still be useful for some years. Also battery life of the touch bar version looks quite bad, how much does the 2015 version have on average?

The battery life will be much the same, the performance will be much the same, however the tb3 and the amazing screen of the new ones are possibly worth it. GPU I said where you'll see the real difference but that's only if your use case would benefit from better graphics of course.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
The battery life will be much the same, the performance will be much the same, however the tb3 and the amazing screen of the new ones are possibly worth it. GPU I said where you'll see the real difference but that's only if your use case would benefit from better graphics of course.

Those are the only two things that hold me back. But I found the previous macbook screens gorgeous already a month ago, just because there is something better now shouldn't make me feel any less about the orevious ones.
And TB 3 would be nice, but in 2 years time I think the market will have matured and I would find more cables at a lower price.

Thanks for the replies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.