Is the 2015 iMac 5K much better than the one in 2014?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seasurfer, Oct 13, 2015.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I bought the first iMac 5k when it first came out, everything was maxed except for the hard drive. Is the new one significantly better to upgrade? Please share your thoughts.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I don't think it's worth spending another $2.5K+ if you already have last year's model. They didn't even bother to include USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 despite shipping the new 5K iMacs with Skylake.

3. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

It is, if like me, you can return your 2014 27" retina system for a full refund from Apple and get the new model with the upgrades and still save $$ in the long run.
    I made out like a bandit on this deal..... :p

4. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

New 2015 RiMac:

Display: improved color gamut - not convincing for me, unless you are a professional photographer or video editor
    CPU: Skylake : 8-10% improvement in single-threaded and multi-threaded apps
    GPU: I'm not convinced, just a rebranded + higher clocked 29x ?
    Storage: you get NVMe for SSD and Fusion drives. However, it's ridiculous that Apple sells a cripped Fusion drive with 24 GB SSD as an upgrade. Should have been standard and should have be 128 GB... for that money

No, if you have the 2014 model stick to it.

I'm still going to swap the mouse for the new model. Fed up with lost connection errors due to a flimsy design wrt the battery compartment.