Is the 2016 13 Inch TB Enough For...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pst23, Feb 26, 2017.

1. pst23 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could let me know if the 2016 13 inch touch bar is enough for photoshop, light room and final cut pro video editing 1080p and 4k?

Thank you

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

To all the other things you asked about, yes. For this one... A bit more complex. Obviously, with everything it's not just enough or not, and with Photoshop and that you'll also notice that there's a limit to the number of layers you can fiddle with and whatnot before you start experiencing slowdowns, but in general I'd say you'd be fine with said computer

For FCPX (this is my area of expertise, so regarding my opinion on Photo editing applications, know that I have a lot less experience with them than FCPX), well, are you going to use proxy files? Optimised media? Does the chroma sub-samlping matter for your work? How many effects and how long will your projects be? At what size do you plan on having the preview window, and will you have it set to optimise quality or optimise performance (renders previews at 1/4th the resolution or less)? Do you plan on using any heavy plugins? How much do render times matter to you both for final export and whilst working?

As you can see, there are a lot of variables. Under some circumstances, even the 12" MacBook can edit 4k well. Under others, you can make a max'd out MacPro or iMac struggle with 1080p content.

TL;DR if your editing needs are basic, it'll do tremendously well. If they're light but a bit more than basic, it'll do well. If they're medium or high intensity, it'll struggle