Is the 2016 Macbook Pro a ticking time bomb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EightyTwenty, Dec 20, 2018.

1. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

Due to the keyboard? I've heard that they fail like crazy. Is it only a matter of time, or s this concern overblown?

I keep my computers for a VERY long time (basically until they physically fail at the hardware level). I would like to use the laptop for a decade as my main PC.

2. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Good luck with a modern day MacBook. Lol

3. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

I’ve had my 2016 15” MacBook Pro for 2 years now and have experienced zero keyboard issues.

4. leman, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

leman macrumors G3

They are more prone to failure, yes, most likely because of dirt accumulation under the switches. The only one quantitative data study on the topic estimated the risk of keyboard malfunction at around 2 times higher than that of previous models, which means that somewhere between 3-8% of these laptops will suffer a keyboard failure in first two years. This is consistent with anecdotal reports and also my own experience with 20+ of these laptops we have in operation. Whether it makes the machine a ticking time bomb, is up to you. At any rate, the chance that any laptop survives a decade is somewhere around 20-30%, so I wouldn’t worry to much.

5. dgbarar macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Purchased my 2016 MBP15 in early December 2016 and it is very heavily used. No keyboard or any other issues 2 years in. Leman's comments are the most sane of any ever comment ever written on the 2016 keyboard topic. I would follow his advice.

Don Barar

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think that it is more realistic on the newer MacBook Pro's to assume 4-5 years maximum before they will need a major repair. If you want to put money into it in repairs, you could probably keep it a long time.

7. Eerriikkoo macrumors member

Eerriikkoo

There is an official repair program for the keyboards. I’d say yes it is a ticking time bomb. My keyboard has been repaired (replaced) three times already.

8. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

all are 2015 rMB onward, 2016 rMBP onwards (including 2018 imo)

9. mroy16 macrumors regular

Frankly, I don't think anyone should expect ~10 years from any laptop, Apple or otherwise. It seems like the 2016 keyboards are hit or miss. I've not had any keyboard issues with my 2016 13", though it was replaced with a 2017 keyboard when the battery was replaced. Between AppleCare and the repair program, I wouldn't be concerned with purchasing a 2016-2018 MBP for a 3-5 year computer. But if you really want a 10 year computer, you should be looking at a desktop.

10. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

We have a department with 11 2016 MBP's, all 18-25 months old. So far no keyboard problems. I wouldn't assume your keyboard is going to fail. Like @leman said, the failure rate is still absolutely low, even if relatively high, based on what limited data is available.

11. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Mine’s a Sep ‘16 build and zero issues.

12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Question:
    "Is the 2016 Macbook Pro a ticking time bomb?"

Some are.
    Others aren't.
    No way to really tell, unless you find out "the hard way" ...

13. Wilde_ macrumors newbie

I’ve been using a 2016 (touchbar) MacBook Pro since December 2016 and whilst occasionally some crumbs or whatever get stuck under a key and I have to (carefully) get them out, I haven’t had any real issue with the keyboard. I’m a pretty heavy user of the MacBook as well, I use it for anything between 9-18 hours in a day and so far it’s holding up well.

In all honesty, I would be more concerned about the quality of the USB-C ports myself. If I was asked what I didn’t like about the MacBook, the USB-C port quality would be the first thing I’d point out to any prospective buyer. I’ve found the most used ports on mine (e.g. where I usually plug my charging cable or HDMI adapter) to be noticeably looser than some of the other ports. A lot of people put this down to being a cable issue, huh I’ve tried it with multiple other cables and adapters and the issue is notable on each I’ve tried. Because of this, I’d be more inclined to recommend a more recent model if you can get one.

14. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

Those USB-C ports are small independent daughter cards, and can be swapped out fairly easily without having to replace the motherboard. You may want to contact Apple -- I've heard they can do it in the store while you wait.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Get a keyboard cover, if you plan on using it for that long.

16. Queen6, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Apple is solely focused on producing time limited consumer garbage. What a waste, once it was in their hands to make a real difference, like many other's Apple sold out. Such a shame as once Apple was truly something very different...

Q-6

17. Ploki macrumors 68040

well, these MacBook Pros fail physically at the hardware level...
    The hardware level being the keyboard.

fwiw, the repair program covers you till 2020.
    https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/
    If you get a replacement in 2019 (should it fail), that will give you at least a couple of more years with it.

In worst case, after 7 years, you can get external keyboard and disable the internal one.

The 2008 Unibody Macbook 13" I'm typing this on would like to have a word with you.

i had a keyboard cover for my refunded i9, and the "i" latter started doublestroking after 1 month. :D

18. Queen6, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Seemingly junk and Apple has no clue how to resolve, due to it's asinine fixation of producing thinner above everything else, durability, reliability, performance. If your going to market a professional notebook do so, stop making these pretentious toys, market them as the MacBook Noob, whatever you want. Get your act together and deliver, right now Apple is just a joke, seriously so...

Q-6

19. Ploki macrumors 68040

Yeah i agree.
    MacBook Pro 2012-2015 was already thin and portable enough, there isn't such a difference between 2012/2016 models in terms of portability to justify many issues that emerged, such as heat and keyboards.
    Keep that crap on the MacBook Air. Right now, the only difference between Air and 13" MBP is the tapered edge and 0.25lbs/100grams of weight difference.
    The difference between unibody/retina was huge tho.
    (uMBP 2.4cm, rMBP 1.8cm, uMBP 1.55cm)
    so for 2,5mm, they sacrificed a working keyboard and better heat dissipation.

On the other hand, I'd much prefer if they left it at 1.8cm thickness and slimmed the display bezel, which is still pretty hefty compared to the competition. It would make a much bigger difference in portability than 2,5mm of thickness.

edit: damn, i can imagine it now. a 15" Pro with 1,8cm height and slim bezels would be one cool laptop, and it wouldn't look like pancake.

20. Queen6, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Apple is no longer worthy of my custom, simple as that, both personally and professionally, product is a joke driven by cost, greed & market share. Personally I see ever fewer "Pro's" on the platform and for good reason as what Apple is purporting to be professional devices is a joke...

Sales will reduce and you'll be paying ever more for it under Tim & Co, simple as that. We set many records that have yet to be surpassed, equally we just wanted to be the best we possibly could with no other agenda...

Q-6

21. Wilde_ macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I've been meaning to look into how easy they are to replace - my gut feeling was that they'd be soldered onto the motherboard (as is typical of apple with most things these days) and couldn't be all too bothered with the hassle of being without my Mac for a few days. Thankfully I purchased apple care with it so I should be covered! If it's that easy when I find myself with a free afternoon I'll try and get it done :)

22. jakespeed macrumors member

I know this isn't scientific but like others, I do have a slightly larger sample size to extract assumptions from :)

I have a software development team of about 15 ( I think they consider themselves "Pro") all running 16 and 17 MacBook Pro 15's. They are between 12-24 months old at this point. So far, there has been no keyboard failures in the group. In fact, other than an out of the box dead pixel issue, there have been no problems that required service. The last failure we had was a screen issue with a 2014 MacBook Pro 15 that was getting on in years.

In addition, I have 2 more of these keyboards in use at home (Wife, Kid, etc.) and have had no failures there either...in spite of having a dog and constant use.

So, while the failures do happen.....and it sucks when they do I am sure. It's not a ticking time bomb in my opinion.