Is the 2016 MacBook Pro hinge looser than the 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James.K.Polk, Feb 28, 2017.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

James.K.Polk

Mine certainly is - wondering if it's worth taking back in... Everything else is perfect so I don't want to fall into the cycle of damaged computers. It just feels a little looser, but I don't know that it isn't from the thinner/lighter display?

2. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Yes it is, because it is weighted such that you can lift the display without holding down the base of the Mac.

3. SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

I think there is a difference between loose and ease of movement. I think the 2016 feels a little lighter and moves a little smoother than my older model MBP's, but it in no way feels loose. If yours actually DOES feel loose, you may want to look at an exchange. Maybe try a few others in store, to see if your display feels consistent with what you should expect.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

How exactly "looser"? Could you elaborate on how it feels to make it easier to access if it's normal? It's not wobbly or loose enough that it moves on its own, right?

5. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

James.K.Polk

No, definitely not. I think the other comments are spot on - it's just a little smoother than my older one. If I tap it it'll move a little but... of course it will.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2017 ---
    I think you're right on the 'smoother' lingo - it's just different.

6. SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

It does feel a bit different, but at least imho, not in a bad way. If it was loose, to where there was odd movement or it wasn't staying in place, I would be annoyed.

At least on mine, it just seems to have a lighter feel and smoother action and I quickly got used to it

7. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

In that case it's meant to be that way, and I'd personally call it a positive, same as what @SDColorado says.

8. hdthu macrumors member

Just sharing my own view:

I can't believe people are actually thinking this is a positive thing or a normal thing.
    Remembering the issue happened on x1 carbon 4th last year, people on Reddit called it "build quality" issue.

9. SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

I responded in the other forum, where you posted originally. Obviously, I can't speak for your unit, since I cannot try it for myself. But mine has a very solid, but smooth action, which doesn't feel in the least bit abnormal. Certainly, nothing that would not be considered as a positive or a build quality issue. It feels better than my previous models. Nothing to complain about.

10. hdthu macrumors member

I played the new macbook pro at the local Apple Store (Memphis). All the displayed units have the wobbling problems.

11. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Please describe it more specifically, and how it's a problem.

12. SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

That would not be a good thing. I definitely don't even have a hint of wobbling so far. Of course with display units, you never know what a customer has decided will be a good idea to test durability. I was recently shopping for sofas with my wife and observed a gal rapidly rubbing a key vigorously back and forth on a fabric sofa, in manner that I hope no single spot of sofa would ever endure in its lifetime.

13. hdthu macrumors member

premium laptops shouldn't have this "problem". check xps13, xps15, lattitude, Thinkpad x and t. You normally only find cheap laptops' lid wobble....like a 200 dollars one. You may go to a local Bestbuy check for yourself.

14. Sanpete macrumors 68020

What problem? Could you please be specific?

15. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I've seen none of them wobble. It requires a lot less force to move the lid, so you can easily open it with one finger, without having to hold down the base whilst ripping up the lid, but it's not wobbly.

16. SDColorado, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

Don't want to get in trouble for linking to forums outside of this one, but some excerpts from the Dell forums...

XPS 13 9333, Loose Screen hinge
    Screen Wobble XPS 15 9550
    DELL XPS 13 (2015) Hinges problem/misaligned screen
    DELL XPS 13 Jittery, shaking or vibrating screen
    Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Hinge issue
    XPS 13 creaking frame
    New DELL XPS 13 Don't Buy - broken hinge - warning about repair
    XPS 13 9350 screen hinge is loose

Edit: Let's be honest, there are a lot of d**ks that go into places like Best Buy and do things to the display units, never intended by the manufacturer too

17. fokmik, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

fokmik macrumors 68030

Surface book wobble a lot harder and IT IS MEANT TO BE ALSO A TOUCHSCREEN.
    The 12" is also the most easy to raise/easy to open and the new mbp because the base has got even lighter so the previous hinge would not work so well on this gen since that base is heavier. Or try and think how the hi ge of the clasic mbp would work on this light base

18. MrGuder macrumors 68030

The two 15" MacBook Pro 2016 model I had were both very well built, no issues with hindges, the lid opened and closed with fine precision.

19. kuliand macrumors member

To re-open a new thread. I think this went slightly off course as people didn't quite understand the original posters question. The hinge on the 2015 macbook pro is nice and tight which means if you knock the table the laptop is sitting on or poke the screen itself it doesn't move or shake/wobble. So it's not a question of well the screen closes to the base etc it's about it not shaking about while your trying to look at the screen.

20. redgreenski macrumors regular

I completely agree with you.

My MacBook Air 2014 recently died (my fault). I went to Apple store to get MacBook Pro and to my surprise the 2017 MBP has screen wobble. There was 2015 MBP right next to it and no wobble effect whatsoever. The hinges were nice and stiff.
    This is huge issue to me. Definitely feels like design flaw. And it can become very annoying when you are driving or flying.
    So for now I’m skipping 2016 and 2017 MBP until this design flaw AKA “feature” gets fixed.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    I agree with you on this one.
    One thing to consider is that there is this weird trend these days of people complaining that you can’t open laptop with one hand. This maybe the reason why Apple is putting loose hinges on its laptops.

I recently went to Best Buy’s and I compared various laptops hands on.

The worst hinges were:
    - HP Elitebook
    - MacBook
    (Obviously not cheap models.)

Considerably loose hinges with screen wobble:
    - MacBook Pro 2017
    - budget laptops HP, Dell, and others in $200-500 range.

Medium stiffness. Pleasant to open with one hand but keep screen in position while moving the laptop.
    - XPS 13
    - XPS 15

Stiff hinges and pleasant to work with.
    - MacBook Pro 2015 (yeah they are selling it in Best Buy’s still)
    - Lenovo Yoga 920
    - Thinkpad x1 Yoga
    - Thinkpad x270

21. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Yeah, I agree. You’d expect it on the machines mentioned above even at Mac prices; but there’s definitely an issue if your device has a bad wobble - take it to Apple and they’ll tighten it for free

22. PauloUruguay macrumors newbie

PauloUruguay

It happens to someone, when they are close to completely closing the lid of the macbook is like "falling" alone and closes. If I hold it with my fingers the lid about 2 inches from closing completely, the lid falls alone. It is normal???

23. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

This is not normal.