Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I’m a designer/motion designer and my trusty Late 2013 MacBook Pro has been great but I’m wondering if it’s time for an upgrade.

I use a lot of Adobe software like After Effects, Premiere and Illustrator and I’m wondering if the performance gains are worth the cost of a new computer.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
It's a worthy upgrade for sure - how well does your current machine meet your needs? What areas would you like to see improvement? (e.g., battery life, portability, CPU performance, shorter export times, brighter screen, the P3 color gamut, etc.)

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
It's a worthy upgrade for sure - how well does your current machine meet your needs? What areas would you like to see improvement? (e.g., battery life, portability, CPU performance, shorter export times, brighter screen, the P3 color gamut, etc.)

A brighter screen with better color is definitely something I would like since I do a lot of design work. Shorter export times would be nice too, but I don't know how much I should expect from a laptop. I would love to be able to use an iMac or Mac Pro for my work, but I need to be on-site for most of it these days.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Short answer - yes.

Long answer - only if you have the money, you likely won't notice much initial speed differences and will mostly have to evaluate on the 'feel/experience' of the new system. I wouldn't say it's worth it if you're stretching a budget, you'll likely end up disappointed and become one of those USB-C ranters or just generally looking for something wrong as reason to return. It is a better machine though, by about 4 years.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Short answer - yes.

Long answer - only if you have the money, you likely won't notice much initial speed differences and will mostly have to evaluate on the 'feel/experience' of the new system. I wouldn't say it's worth it if you're stretching a budget, you'll likely end up disappointed and become one of those USB-C ranters or just generally looking for something wrong as reason to return. It is a better machine though, by about 4 years.

I think you talked me out of it. I have the money but it should be used for more responsible things until my system ***** the bed or Apple comes out with a computer that will have significant performance increases.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I think you talked me out of it. I have the money but it should be used for more responsible things until my system ***** the bed or Apple comes out with a computer that will have significant performance increases.

The new computer will have a significant performance increase. The question is are you going to notice or benefit from it given your current workflow? If your current computer isn't feeling slow to use, then a new one is not going to improve upon that.

So yes it's best to wait until you need something or at least understand that sometimes the need is just a want.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
If you want to increase your current laptop’s longevity, you may want to consider getting a battery replacement before it becomes “obsolete” in Apple’s eyes next year.

Now that screens are LED backlit, it seems the battery is the next weakest component in Apple’s laptops. (My 2006 MacBook ran well but the CCFL backlight was super dim and flickered when cold after 6 years, for example).

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
If you want to increase your current laptop’s longevity, you may want to consider getting a battery replacement before it becomes “obsolete” in Apple’s eyes next year.

Now that screens are LED backlit, it seems the battery is the next weakest component in Apple’s laptops. (My 2006 MacBook ran well but the CCFL backlight was super dim and flickered when cold after 6 years, for example).

At the moment the battery is 91% healthy. The laptop is fast enough for most uses, but it would be nice to have things render quicker.
[doublepost=1507990482][/doublepost]
depends which size, rumor has it 4 cores are coming to mbp 13 next year or something.

I’d love a smaller laptop but I need the 15” for the screen real estate

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you have a 2014 and it's running "good enough" for you right now, it might be better to wait a little while longer (at least until next year).

Important questions:
Have you seen and tried out the new MBPro's?
Would you be satisfied with the new keyboard feel, vis-a-vis the one you have now?
Will the move from "legacy ports" (that you have now) to USB-c be easy enough for you?

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
OP:

If you have a 2014 and it's running "good enough" for you right now, it might be better to wait a little while longer (at least until next year).

Important questions:
Have you seen and tried out the new MBPro's?
Would you be satisfied with the new keyboard feel, vis-a-vis the one you have now?
Will the move from "legacy ports" (that you have now) to USB-c be easy enough for you?

Yes. I’ve tried out a coworkers machine and I like the new keyboard. I so rarely plug an external device into my machine and the dongle life is not a problem for me.

rboyd5589

Suspended
Oct 14, 2017
Dallas TX
The '15 with Kaby lake a 16gb is the way to go for sure. The upgrade in 2018 will be minimal for the '15 so it is probably worth it to just go ahead and get it now, of course unless you don't mind the wait.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
The '15 with Kaby lake a 16gb is the way to go for sure. The upgrade in 2018 will be minimal for the '15 so it is probably worth it to just go ahead and get it now, of course unless you don't mind the wait.
I don’t mind waiting if they’re going to add major things like 32gb of ram. But if it’s just a spec bump then I might go ahead.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I thought 32GB are coming this year, no? In your case I would wait a bit. Not sure if you absolutely need the portability or if an iMac in addition to your current machine might be an option

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I thought 32GB are coming this year, no? In your case I would wait a bit. Not sure if you absolutely need the portability or if an iMac in addition to your current machine might be an option

I wish I could just work from the home but I'm too often on-site to justify have a desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.