Is the 21.5 4K good enough for Premiere/After Effects?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stanw, Oct 14, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

We want to get a bunch of iMacs for video editing, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. and would love to go beyond 16GB ram and have better graphics cards, etc. though the 27-inchers are just a bit too large for the space they will be used in.

1. Anyone have any thoughts on using the maxed out 21.5 iMacs for Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop?
    2. Compared with the maxed out 27-incher at a comparable 16GB of ram is there a significant performance difference between the models?

Thanks.

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

You will not be happy with the 21. You need an i7 and the 4gb 395x for optimal performance. Premiere loves the dedicated GPU and media encoder really wants an i7, not an i5 (After Effects too). The 27 is a bit large, but wow! I've been cutting in Premiere for a while now in a variety of formats and on various computers. See the trailer for my last film in my sig.

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Photoshop would be fine, but I don't see the point of buying the 21.5" for heavy Premiere and After Effects work. The 27" models will render much faster.