Is the 24'' Cinema display really worth $900?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 24usedtorock, Jun 8, 2009.

1. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

Quality wise, I don't mind paying a premium for the best of the best. BUT, is this a case of that, or overpaying for the brand?

I already have one 22'' widescreen Samsung along with a 19''. Both of those together were nowhere close to $900.

Is there any reason to spend an extra 4-500$ on the Apple 24'' than other comparable models which might be just as good, please talk in terms of quality before budget and weight your estimations that way.

2. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

You're definitely paying a premium for the Apple brand but it truly is a great display. I'm on the fence holding out for a updated 30". Was hoping to see one today but it didn't happen.. :rolleyes:

3. courboy macrumors regular

I have one and don't regret it for a minute, stunning display and my eyes don't get tired where they used to on older (TN to be fair) monitors. I used to wear glasses for the computer too, but I don't need to now and my eyes feel fresh, even after 10 hours in front of the screen.

Some people don't like the glossy display, but I think it makes the colours look vivid although, if you have a window behind you, it may be quite frustrating!

I use it with my 13.3" UMB and don't regret it for a minute :)

4. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

Have you used it for gaming?

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well, I just got an HP 2408w for $249 so I'll be putting the rest of the $$ saved toward some type of MB/MBP in a year when I replace my current laptop...

6. courboy macrumors regular

I play football manager 09 (a UK game mainly), have played counter-strike source and HL2 with crossover games and it's wonderful although these aren't exactly 'up to the minute' games!

7. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I'm sayin', is there some intrinsic value to the Mac displays aside from the brand that would justify being $500 more than the market price for a similar spec display?

I'm thinking the answer is no and it's more of the branding, when you have to spend $2800 on your computer, it really feels like they're trying to nickel and dime you by charging $900 for a 24 inch monitor!

8. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

No. Check out the reviews on any photographic web site.

9. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Haha, I love the frankness.

I agree...could be crap for photographers. But in the right setting, it is just irresistable. I just want to go and stroke it. Its like snow which hasnt been touch yet, i feel the urge to go and run and ruin it. Same kind of thing. just want to make it all smudgy and smash it.

.....sorry if that sounds weird.

10. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

I just upgraded to a 24" iMac and I can tell you the screen on those are top of the line. Everything seems more crisp and brighter than any other monitor I've played with.

It may be worth it to purchase one if someone has the money for an Apple screen but then again, that is a lot of money for a screen. I went the non-mobile cheap route and got the iMac.

11. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

Congrats, glad to hear you are enjoying your piurchase.

I see that newegg has "Open Box" editions of the 24'' display for $180 less, claiming there are no functionality defects but may be cosmetic ones.

12. termina3 macrumors 65816

Not worth it... not even close.

The exterior appearance is arguably better, but that's what you're paying for versus a quality Dell or HP screen. And if you're doing graphic design or photography seriously, forget about the 24" screen.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The panel is outstanding, it's the gloss that is driving "pros" mad.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Great panel and worth the price. I use it for watching movies, playing games and Final Cut along with Logic full screen makes working so much easier. Built in speakers, iSight camera and the MagSafe adapter makes it really easy and quick to connect.

My only annoyance with it is the cables are so short. I was hoping to have my MBP on my other desk and have the cable stretch, but it is merely 3 feet long! There is apparently a Mini DisplayPort extender lead being produced by a 3rd party, so that'll solve the problem (USB extender and then just my spare MagSafe charger).

15. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

16. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Hp Lp2475w

I would not recommend the Apple 24" LED for anyone who requires color critical work. On this, see the review by MacWorld UK.

NEC (among others) offers pro quality displays, but the best bang for your buck (i.e. the poor man's pro display) is found in the HP LP2475W. It has a matte finish and uses LG's wide-gamut 24" panel. Once calibrated (I used a Lacie Blue Eye Pro), it is gorgeous, and unlike the Apple display, you will get true colors (with all of the gains and trade-offs of a wide-gamut panel). It also comes with numerous inputs, a set of cables, tilt height and swivel adjustment options, a 3 year warranty, and runs around $625, but I purchased mine for about $550 new off eBay. As you can tell, I am very happy with mine. (No I don't make any money off the endorsement.) There are many reviews around the web, and MacWorld US just listed it as their Editor's Choice in a 24" panel round-up.

17. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

no its not. for that price you can get a 30"+ display with the same quality maybe better
    i also got a hp 22" display today, check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhfw5Yhm32o

i highly recommend it, price is $189

18. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

That may be something to look into. I would get Apple Care to be on the safe side but I guess every new owner should. ;)

19. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

I like that monitor. The design matches the Apple line. That would go well as a second monitor for my 24" iMac. :eek:

Need a bigger desk though. :confused:

20. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

No alot of them have light leak, and dead pixels, which none of them are covered under warranty. Check out dells monitors.

21. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

For what it is: a 24" IPS panel that is LED backlit, that includes a power source for a macbook, yes it is worth the price.

Certainly in some countries Dell displays that are of high quality are significantly cheaper, but do not have the same feature set (in a negative and positive way).

The more appropriate questions relevant to each person should be things such as:

Do you think there is perceived value in the 24" cinema display? etc.

Objectively, for what it is, it is worth the price.

22. Reverendrun macrumors newbie

I could have bought a used LED Cinema Display for $600, but after doing some research I found myself leaning toward the HP LP2475w.

Still haven't made up my mind, but the big turn-off on the Cinema Display for me is not being able to hook up anything else to it. I have a PC as well, and it would be a lot more convenient to be able to hook up more than one machine if I'm dropping more than $500 on a monitor.

23. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

24. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr