Is the 2G worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chief06, Oct 25, 2008.

1. chief06 macrumors newbie

I have a 1G touch and I love it to the ends of this earth. But the 2G with tis slick back and the awesome volume buttons, is it really worth selling and getting the 2G?

Also my first post, great to be part of the forums!

2. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

IMHO yes.....I had a 32g 1st gen and I also loved it.....immensly. As soon as the 2g came out I felt really disapointed that suddenly my 1g was overnight "old technology" and from that moment on, I knew that I was never going to be satisfied until I updated to the latest and greatest iPod touch.

I sold mine on ebay and I had over 66 bids on it (sold all accessories with it) and people DO go for these on eBay. It ended up costing me $100.00 to update including a new Belkin case. An now I just feel like I used to when my 1g was brand new (though even better :) ) I love the 2g and find the speakers and styling and the speed exceptional. And again.....I just knew that I was NEVER going to be satisfied. I'll do the same when the 3g comes out and the 4g and 5g............

3. polopimpboy macrumors newbie

yeah it is defiently worth the upgrade cause of the speaker

4. iamtherealandy macrumors newbie

I am loving my 2G

The speaker was the big decider for me because I like to set the 2g next to me and stream radio. I want there to be MORE apps for internet radio but I'm using the AOL radio now and that offers a lot.

Playing the games with the speaker active is also a ton of fun.

The 2g is not just an iPod, it's a media computer system in your pocket!

Stuff that would make it even better:

hulu.com should work.

yahoo.com mail is no where close to as awesome gmail is on it -- but switching to gmail is no sweat for something this cool.

5. buckethead macrumors newbie

Unless there is another part of Hulu.com I am not familiar with it will not work on the touch - requires flash.

6. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Although I think the 2G Touch is great, I don't think that selling your 1G and buying a new one is worth it. Unless you have the spare cash to spend on one, I think that the 1G iPod is plenty capable and works fine. The incorporation of external speakers and physical volume buttons are not deciding factor for me. I would wait for an update with a higher storage capacity before getting a 2G.

7. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I haven't upgraded for one primary reason: it wasn't clear last I checked whether or not the actual processor in the 2nd gen. was faster than the 400 MHz chip in the 1st gen. The other things seem nice but not really worth the bread to me.

8. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

This is something I can't seem to find out myself, as well. From what I understand, the minor changes in the overall hardware in the iPt 2nd gen model equate to longer battery life, the addition of the Bluetooth chip (still waiting to see if it'll be opened up, would be stupid of Apple not to do it since it can handle many things), the mic input, and longer battery life.

But as far as I can tell, the iPt 2nd gen should be as fast as the 1st gen, so if the CPUs truly are different and there truly is some big speed difference, I'd love to get some solid info stating as such.

9. iamtherealandy macrumors newbie

I meant for the 2g to be better hulu should work -- which is doesn't -- which is sad. Why should they have an ap to run youtube and not one for hulu which offers far more higher quality content?

Any idea if flash is coming to the 2g Safari browser?

10. chief06 thread starter macrumors newbie

So keep the 1G until it breaks. Thanks a lot guys. The main factor is the speakers will make noise in the classroom when I play games, so I will stick with the 1G until it breaks. Thanks a lot guys, you helped a lot.

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

yeah, keep ur 1g colse to ui till it breaks or the 3g one comes out next year or if they come out with a huge 64gb capacity

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've got a 1st gen but have no desire or craving for a 2nd gen. If they had added working Bluetooth then I'd have traded up in a second. I've already got other players with internal speakers and external volume controls. Not worth the upgrade cost to me.

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Ditto :cool:

14. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

Everyones dif.....I coudn't wait to get my greedy fingers wrapped around a brand new 32gb 2nd generation.

I didn't even feel the slightest bit of remorse dumping my much beloved 1g :D