Is the 2GB 11" Air slow?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SteelBlueTJ, Jul 31, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I'm just wondering if the 2011 11" 2GB Air is a good investment? Is it sluggish at all with ML? There are some local people selling 2GB Airs on Craigslist for around $700-$800 and I'm tempted to pick one up, but was ultimately hoping to get a 4GB version. I think those prices are a little high for the 2GB. I have a Mac Pro as my main desktop and also a new iPad 3rd Gen. The iPad is cool, but isn't cutting it for me. I would rather have the full ability of a laptop. I probably wouldn't do anything extreme on it. Mainly use it for basic tasks - Safari, Mail, iTunes and word processing. Would it be worth it to trade or sell a 3rd Gen iPad 16GB wifi for a 2GB 2011 model 11" Air with 64GB SSD? I don't want to regret getting a 2GB Air with ML and have it too slow. Those of you that have this configuration - are you happy with it? Thanks for any advice?

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

$700-800 isn't that much cheaper than $949 (Adorama, Amazon, B&H, MacMall) for new MBA with 4GB RAM, faster CPU and GPU, much faster flash storage, and USB 3.0. Frankly, I would spend $100 more and get 128GB storage, but if you want to get cheapest usable MBA possible, I would get it new.