Is the 2nd Pro coming this Spring? (vote)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drewjonn, Jan 29, 2017.

?

New iPP coming this Spring

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Probably

27 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. drewjonn macrumors regular

We have heard about this bezel-free iPP and improvements in camera for the 12.9" etc etc and it is rumored to be announced this March.

I'm in need of an iPad but that doesn't mean I can't wait for another 2-3 months for a new one. Would be silly to purchase knowing the next generation is coming in no time.

Your opinion?

2. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

3 months is a long time and I need one now.

Trying to decide between 9.7 and 12.9 though and a sale.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

A lot of conflicting reports with the March release. I'm in the same situation. I want to upgrade from my Air 2 to the Pro 9.7. But I feel I may hold out until I see what March brings. The Apple Pencil support and Tru-Tone are not selling points for me. The speakers are nice.

If March brings something not worth while, then hopefully the Pro line will see a discount. I would rather not pay full retail if a discounted price is under two months away.

And I'm upgrading my Laptop next month too. Decisions, decisions.

4. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

We haven't seen any leaks of a bezel-less casing which suggests it's not happening in March.

5. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

This is what is keeping me in buying now versus later as I've put this off long enough.

I'm hoping for a target sale or maybe even staples again.

I bounce back and forth between the 12.9 and 9.7 but I think I'm firmly back in the 9.7 camp...for now.

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Maybe if there was at least one leak from manufacturing.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When the iPad Pro 12.9 launched, there was maybe one or two hardware leaks exhibiting the casing. And the 9.7 Pro, hardly any leaks. The Apple Watch also had very few, if any hardware leaks.

Being this close to the March Keynote, I doubt we will see any additional supplier leaks. It's not like iPhone, where there are dozens of leaks from third party, part suppliers, Foxconn, etc.

8. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Haven't seen any reports of new iPad models in the iOS 10.3 beta code. Doesn't this usually happen?

9. Mathias Denichi macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

If they are having a March keynote, they have to release something. Unless it's just watch bands and an iPhone 7SE.

That only leaves the iPad or a new product line, the latter of which Apple typically releases in fall.

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Tim Cook loves to release everything in September and October, so I'm leaning towards no. Besides, we would have seen part leaks by now.

At this point, no part leaks = further than six months away from release.

11. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

What's your choices for laptop?

But yeah... I do believe a 2nd Pro is coming in March. But I'm more anxious to see what new features in regards to iOS that Apple will add to the iPad.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My laptop considerations at the moment are The Surfacebook Pro 3 and 2015 MacBook Pro. Both are great choices that offer some big differences in choice of software.

I think we will see a Pro 2 in March and an updated Apple Pencil. The question is what sizes and what happens to the remaining iPad Line with the Air 2 and Mini. I think I will hold out until then befor upgrading my iPad.

13. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

There were no Apple Watch leaks because it was demonstrated publicly when very few copies existed. I would think that if the new iPad is a significant redesign (as has been suggested) coming in March, there would have been a leak or two by now. But then maybe they have doubled-down ...

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I was referring to the Apple Watch 2. There were no Apple Watch Series 1/Series 2 physical leaks. Rumors were that we were going see a redesign, when in fact we did not. Not to mention, there are fewer suppliers for the Apple Watch then say compared to the iPhone.

15. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I'll wait until it's released then I'll make a guess if it's coming out. :)

16. fokmik macrumors 68020

leaks we will have when apple start mass production of them..if ipads will be released in late March-April then we will have leaks in February beginning of march

17. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

I'd think it would come out the same time as iPhone 8 (or 7s) but then iPhone 8 will come with A11 processor, and iPP 2 will come with A10X processor. I doubt they'd release an iPP with an inferior processor at the same time as iPhone, so I believe they'll release iPP 2 before summer, giving them time to master the 10nm chip manufacturing process, which A11 will also be based upon.

18. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

This is a great point. Very fishy.

19. bensisko macrumors 65816

There are two - You can believe Cho (who says March) or you can believe Digitimes (who says Fall). Neither would be a surprise to me, but a rumor is still a rumor.

For what it's worth, if I HAD to place a bet, I would put it on Cho - Digitimes is about as accurate as throwing a fist full of darts at the wall - eventually one will hit a target.

20. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

This i too am worried about, there was talk about chip manufacturers being ready with the 10nm by end of last year, I hope Apple was there to get first dibs on production to be ready for March release of the new iPads, because then we certainly will see iPad Pro 2

21. Mathias Denichi macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

Unless there is an iOS 10.4 by end of March.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Digitimes is sketchy. Oddly enough, they get bits and pieces accurate. Macrumors generates a lot of articles based on Digitimes. I think Kuo has a better track record, but he clearly has inside sources with part manufacturers and other iPhone plants.

23. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

I think March upgrades to Ipads would be purely internals (processors used already in the Iphone, RAM, storage changes), save for a new/second Pencil. That's why there's no new cases leaking out; the new tablets all be compatible with all current designs.

Fall will bring a bezel-less Iphone and Ipad variant...and I'm guessing a new Ive-inspired specific name for those models and their edge to edge screen...since Edge is taken by Samsung, what about "Infinity"?

24. fokmik macrumors 68020

Infinity is a dell thing. Better iphone bezel less

25. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

I think it's difficult to say at this point, the 12.9" iPad Pro was introduced in September alongside the iPhone 6S, yet the iPad Pro 9.7" was introduced in March. If Apple intend to change the design I'm guessing September alongside the new iPhones, if not it will probably be March.

Ming-chi-Ko has said March I believe and considering he's the most reliable source (he probably has sources inside Apple) then i lean more towards what he says. Who knows we could all be wrong and it could end up being October that we see new iPads.