Is the 30" ACD still worth getting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Feb 8, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Its over 3 yrs old, but is it still worth getting? I have a 17 MBP alu. Or is it better to wait for an update 30"? If its coming out. Can I get an adapter to use with my DVI port on new displays?

I have the 23" ACD and have a slight magenta cast and uneven backlighting across it, does the 30" ACD's suffer from this?

Will be hooking up to my 17" primarily, so any advice appreciated.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's still a great screen even after all those years, but worth it? Not really. Check out 30" screens from other manufacturers, like Dell. You'll get much more bang for your buck.

3. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Get a high end 46" 1080p samsung HDTV on Amazon for like $1500. Much more worth it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No that's only 1920x1080; lower resolution then my 24".

5. otis123 macrumors 6502a

look elsewhere, its really spendy for a screen that old. i dont get why they havent done a refresh in forever

6. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

thanks for the responses.

i'm thinking Eizo for colour accuracy. but it is mighty EXPENSive!

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Its not much more worth it at all. The resolution is much lower then a 30" Computer Monitor at 2560x1600.

As others have said don't buy the Apple 30" Monitors they are way overpriced for what you get. I have a Dell one that was a lot more affordable then the Apple 30" at the time and it had better colour reproduction and viewing angle (However I believe Apple has since upgraded there panel to match). Apple makes good computers but there Monitors although look very attractive are lacking in some fundamental ways. The stand for example doesn't give a lot of adjustment options beyond tilting.

It also doesn't take any display connections except Dual-Link DVI. Comparable monitors from Dell offer Display Port, Dual Dual-Link DVI Connectors (Yes two separate Dual-Link DVI for connecting Two computers at once), Component and built in card readers and hubs. It's just a lot better value for money in my opinion.

EDIT:// After just looking at Apple and Dells site I have found something that is against the norm. The current Dell 30" Monitor costs £1,608 GBP whilst the Apple 30" Display only costs £1,173 GBP so I guess if your after a no-thrills display the 30" is the way to go after all. I have to say when I bought mine it was completely reversed with the ACD being a lot more expensive then the Dell.

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

thanks for the responses so far guys. any other opinions/options?

9. eldy macrumors 6502

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

There are a few difference between Apple Cinema Display and Dell's UltraSharp, and Choosing between them depends largely upon what you'll be using the display for. For normal everyday uses, I'd go with the Dell as it offers so much more bang for the money, despite being more costly. For instance it has more ports for more devices, supports new standards (DisplayPort) and uses the same exact panel. Though it's not as stylish and doesn't compliment Apple's products as well (visually).

Personally, I like the ACD better!! And if I had to make the choice again, I'll still buy the Apple one, simply because it's a gorgious display. Text is sharp, colours are fairly acurate, it's a perfect match with my MacPro and it's physically slimmer!!

11. jrsdead macrumors newbie

Form all the reviews that i have read this is meant to be a great monitor and its cheaper than the cinema display

jrsdead

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

At this point it is not worth buying the 30" ACD.

13. doctoree macrumors 6502

My strategy is to wait a couple of months until Apple also Updates the large Monitor to the new LED model and then buy the old one without LED. There will be DRAMATIC price drops once the new ones are out. Not only will the new ones be probably cheaper than the current ones (causing price drops) but also will the old ones be so extremly outdated compared to the new ones.

14. bodhisattva macrumors member

They are saying new macs will be featuring the new mini port for all displays.. so no doubt they are about to release all monitors in the new LED, mini port config.. I have two 30" ACD.. LOVE them and have had no complaints.. but if I was without them now.. I'd wait because once the new mini port LEDs all hit the shelves.. you better believe Apple or one of the many aftermarket plug makers will have an adapter to convert the mini port to work with older Mac DVI connections.. I'd say wait for this before purchasing a different brand.. just my opinion, but after switching to Apple monitors a few years back.. I'm sold on the sharpness of text, color richness, etc. Just my opinion though

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't think desktops will sport 'miniDisplayPort' like the laptops. I do think they would go with standard full-sized "DisplayPort", since the cable connection is more secure!!

But if you're satisfied current owner with a MacPro, then the ACD's might be worth it, assuming you can't wait!!

16. johnsy macrumors 6502

you will have problems with display adaptors. Price is quite too big, other than that quality is still good.

17. kasakka macrumors 65816

The Dell site prices are always more than they really cost, call Dell and they'll give you a fair bit off. In any case, I bought myself a Dell 3008WFP from Overclockers.co.uk and paid about £1000 for it. So far it's a fantastic monitor.

The Apple 30" as far as I know has an older panel and like most 30" screens it doesn't have a scaler so it only supports 2560x1600 and 1280x800 resolutions (although in Windows you can use the graphics card for scaling). I believe the Dell 3008WFP and the Nec 30" models are the only ones that have an OSD and scaler at the moment. The lack of an OSD also means that color correction has to be done from the driver/OS end. OSX has a pretty good calibration tool so I don't see this as a huge problem, merely an annoyance.

That said, the Apple is far from a bad monitor. I just wouldn't pay any extra for it and definitely not as much as I paid for the Dell.

I don't think Apple has any incentive to update the 30" soon. The difference between the currently used and the latest panel tech isn't that much and the 30" is most likely not a big seller for Apple to begin with since most users will be happy watching any cheap TN panel. Since afaik nobody at the moment makes a LED backlight 30" panel I just don't see Apple updating their monitor. Possibly silently to the latest LG panel but that's about it.

Image quality issues are limited to specific units having different problems. My Dell has some backlight bleed from the lower right corner but it's not something I notice on anything but a totally black background (like during a game loading screen for example). Another Dell of the same model might have backlight bleed in the upper left. The magenta cast may be a problem with the type of panel, I remember seeing it with a 20" S-IPS panel Viewsonic but the H-IPS in the Dell doesn't seem to have anything like that.

Considering how many problems people have with the Dual-Link DVI to Mini-Displayport adapters, I wouldn't buy a 30" for a Macbook at this time. At least wait until a Mini-DP -> regular Displayport adapter comes out and then get the Dell since it has a Displayport input.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dunno have you noticed... but buying from OC you actually get four years warranty, instead of the standard three from Dell. It's all Win, Win!!

The resolution scaler is hardware based and is part of Dell's controller board.

There's no need for OSD when it comes to the ACD since it's all controlled via the system control panel, this is something Apple has been doing forever! I think it's quite nice, cause I can disable all the monitor controls and make the system control everything!
    [​IMG]

Are you absolutely sure about that? Like you've done all the research covering large screen LED backlight displays and prototypes?? Cause lookie what I found here and here...

Alot of people on those forums are fairly confused in my honest opinion. Apple makes a matching LED based display for new MacBookPro users and all of a sudden the whole community thinks Apple are about to revise the whole suite.

19. kasakka macrumors 65816

I guess they are coming then. S-PVA instead of H-IPS though but that should not be a problem for most people.