Is the 3GS that much speedier than my 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dsr1205, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I'm looking for speed opinions in this thread, iv seen the side by side comparisons but i think real users will have good insight.

I'm someone who notices every little lag on my 3G and it annoys me to no avail, i'd love to see everything be snappier and lag like 90% less of the time. SO should i shell out mad money for 3GS for my sanity or wait it out?

2. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

One million thousand percent yes 3G S is SOOO much faster than 3G Period.

my girl has a 3g and i have the 3g S and both on same wifi. mine is rediculously faster

3. The General macrumors 601

Yes. It's crazy fast. I haven't had any lag at all. All the transitions and graphics stuff are 100% smooth. There's never any hanging trying get the keyboard up. It's wicked fast.

4. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

5. Zeos macrumors 6502

Faster, but might not be worth $200 a a new 2-yr contract if you're moving from 3G. My wife compared my 3G S to her 3G and decided to wait. I upgraded from the 1st gen phone, so for me the speed increase is appreciable. Bring your 3G into an Apple store and compare.

6. phatcat macrumors regular

3gs basically eliminates all the lag that you'd normally get switching between apple's applications. I'm glad I made the jump.

7. K3mp macrumors 6502

It really depends on how much you have going on on your phone. The 3GS is much faster than my first gen in everything. There is no lag at all. If Apple would have released this phone back in 07 there would be no competition at all(there was not much anyway).

8. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

well I as MANY MANY others completely disagree with you

the 3GS is soooo much faster .. my gf has a 3g and my 3G S is 3x faster ..everything opens instantly

and when 3G S jailbreak comes out it wont be laggy anymore(not that i thought it ever was)

9. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Yes. I've used Free Memory with my 3G. Tried after a restore with my 3G S.

It shows 122MB of memory. Blazing fast!

10. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

When it comes to loading things like Need For Speed or The Sims 3 where there's a long loading time... it's cut drastically. It's at least 2 times faster, AT LEAST.

11. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

I have to say, I had my doubts about the speed but the phone is significantly faster. Internet loads a lot faster for me and everything just runs a lot smoother.

I'm very happy with it, and I originally thought it would only be a minor difference.

12. diabolic macrumors 68000

Soon you will see apps that only run well on the 3Gs phones due to the processor speed difference and new graphics chip. This is where the real excitement will eventually show itself.

It is noticeably faster than the 3G just running the regular apps for me.

13. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

I think you would be happy upgrading. The speed is really nice. The little lags that you notice on the 3G are not there in the 3GS. I love it. I wasn't thrilled about the upgrade price but I am very glad that I did it. I'm not missing my 3G at all.

14. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I used mine, and my family and friends had all aged dozens of years, while I remained young. It is damn fast.

15. Bklynblaze207 macrumors newbie

Ok...fair enough. That's with a wifi connection. How do the two phones compare side by side with the 3G connection?

16. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have to added with those saying the speed difference is significant. IMO there is a 2 to 3 times speed difference in most all apps and wifi Internet.. But the biggest difference is in the reboot. OMG, it takes half the time or less.
    This 3G S SCREAMS.

17. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

All I know is, I went by ATT after work to play with it.

I put them side by side and launched Flight Control at the same time.

The 3G brings up the loading screen and it lasts a good 6 seconds before you get the sound option screen.

The 3GS brings up the sound option screen darn near instantly.

18. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea it's pretty amazing. I can't wait for the games that fully take advantage of the new specs.

19. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Try playing games, you will definitely notice a difference. I am loving the speed!

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

21. marine610610 macrumors regular

With 3.0 out i just can't see paying 200.00 for a compass, voice dialing i won't use and a little bit of speed. If the speed is worth it to people fine, but a lot of the comments about the 3GS being sooooooooo muuuccchhhh faster are grossly exaggerated by fan boys who revel in having the latest whatever... Its a couple of seconds faster in everything it does, thats great, but its not revolutionary by any means.

22. diabolic macrumors 68000

Until they start taking advantage of the greater processor power. Then it will be revolutionary.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for what, apps like games?

i dont play games on my iphone so not a huge concern to me

ill just get the next one, if i get another