Is the 4,1 Still A Good Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TWO2SEVEN, Mar 21, 2014.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I already have a Mac Mini and a PC Laptop, but i am looking to move completely away from Windows.

I can't afford anything too recent, and I honestly don't need the newest Macbook (although I would love one :)).

I found a 4,1 2.4ghz in pretty good shape locally for $200 obo.

Is this still worthwhile? I know it is past the point of OSX updates, but again I am fine with that.

What would be a good offer to make on it?

Thanks for any input?

2. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Never mind and sorry. I responded thinking you were talking about Mac Pro.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I think it is. If your needs are modest, or better put, if you don't need a lot of graphical power.

I just bought one last month for $300 (2.4 GHz Black model). It was in pretty good condition, and had a new third party battery in it. The downside was it only had 2GB of RAM, but I upgraded it to 6GB and rolled it back to Snow Leopard from Lion since Lion didn't have any features I needed and SL is a bit faster IMO.

For $200 it's not much of a risk. I use mine for work purposes and mostly do browsing in Chrome, and some work in Adobe CS5 (Photoshop, InDesign, etc). It'll run a 1080P screen along with the built in one just fine too.

I'd say go with it! I've been considering throwing in a small 120GB SSD to boost the speed since I don't need much local storage. A simple $70 upgrade to make it fly.

Another option would be to try and go for a Late 2008 aluminum model (I had one for 5 years) or an Early 13" MBP. But they would be more expensive. Just a little more premium feel, and they run Mavericks.