Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I have an 11" i7/8/256 on order, but keep contemplating over getting the 512GB SSD. I plan to keep the Air for 2-3 years as I have also invested in AppleCare.

I previously owned a Macbook Pro and iPad, which I have sold in favor of the Air. I have a company laptop, and the Pro became a couch computer for Internet, Email, Photos (Canon 5D/Photoshop) and occasional video/audio work. I travel frequently and since I am not allowed to do personal stuff on the company laptop, my personal computer needs to travel in my bag alongside the work computer.

I'm fearing that with my occasional audio/video productions, the 256GB won't be enough considering I'll be keeping the Air for at least a couple of years. On the other hand USD500 for the additional upgrade is A LOT of money that I could only justify if I really need the extra space.

Does anyone have a similar use case and manages successfully the smaller disc space? Or would you recommend me upgrading to the 512Gb SSD?

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
The price increment from 256GB to 512GB is massive. If you definitely need the extra space, and I would include getting close to 256GB as needing it, you'll utilise it and thus it'll be worth it. If not, stick to 256GB or lower.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The case against spending the extra $ for the 512GB is that you can store bigger files that you don't frequently use on an external HDD. I've been using the 256GB Air for three years now, and I keep all of my iMovie raw video on an external drive, because I rarely use iMovie. If I need to create/edit a video, I'll plug the external drive in, and I'm good to go to edit.

The case for spending the extra $ is that it's more convenient to have the space internally, and the speed of the SSD is faster than the speed of the external (unless you get a TB external).

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
With the help of ifixit's manuals, a special screwdriver and a new ssd from owc you can replace your stock ssd later on if you find that it's not enough.

Personally I have the 2011 version with only 128gb and I manage to get by because anything I'm not currently working on gets sent to an external drive. I'll upgrade to the 480gb owc ssd when it reaches 1$/gb. Hopefully that will be in the next year.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'm replacing a Core i7 15" MacBook Pro with an "ultimate" 13-inch MBA. My reasons for spending the money for the 512GB SSD are these:

I cannot imagine my space constraints becoming less severe over the next three years or so. I currently use about 350GB on the MBP.

I could move some of that content to a USB drive at far less cost, but one reason I'm buying the Air is that it is more portable than the MBP. Adding an external drive would sort of defeat the purpose.

Learning to live with space constraints was a problem for me until I bought the MBP with a 500GB HDD. Granted, the storage is expensive, but I really don't want to return to the days when I was counting every spare gigabyte. I know I'll take a resale hit and I may shorten the life cycle of the MBA to compensate a bit for that.

skuid87

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I dont think it is.

The cost of upgrade is massive.
Had the same dilemma as you about space. Very similar use as you (perhaps a bit more video). Also looking to keep for at least 3 years.

In the end I wen't for 128GB MBA 13". I thought about it. I definitely needed more space. But is it worth paying the premium for FLASH memory? I figured that I only need the flash memory for OS + Apps + Essential/regular files. Anything else, including Video files for editing, can be stored on a portable HDD.

Remember, the new MBA has USB3, combine that with a nice 7200rpm drive, and you've got a drive you can work on! A decent 500GB portable HDD with 7200rpm and USB3 isn't going to cost you more than £100. Much better value for money IMO.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
With the help of ifixit's manuals, a special screwdriver and a new ssd from owc you can replace your stock ssd later on if you find that it's not enough.

Personally I have the 2011 version with only 128gb and I manage to get by because anything I'm not currently working on gets sent to an external drive. I'll upgrade to the 480gb owc ssd when it reaches 1$/gb. Hopefully that will be in the next year.

The OP wont be able to do this until OWC designs and builds an SSD that will work in the 2012 MBA.

Reha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Well, not really as I have specified my use. I'm not interested in a general discussion about SSD and what we think it's worth.

Happy to hear your thoughts on managing disc pace with avarage iTunes, iPhoto libraries and Adobe CS5 or Aperture/Final Cut Pro being installed though.

I have also indicated why I have chosen the 11" Air, just in case we are going OT by recommending a 13" Pro or Air.

Thank you.

xchaotic

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
It's not worth it, simple as that - if you're a pro user that needs a lot of storage consider at least 13" MBP with SSD + HDD combo perhaps?

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
I dont consider it 'as simple as that'. SSD drives of this size are expensive. I wanted it. I bought it. Does it pass the 'worth' test? When I hit 256+1 GB of data on my disk, I think it will. (Yes I know that a formatted disk (in this example 256GB) is actually less than this stated amount of space, the whole 1024=1000 ordeal, yada yada :D)

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I don't even think the 256gb is worth it. That's an extra $300. Quite a premium. 8GB upgrade for $100 though is amazing for Apple.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
"Worth" is such a relative term. If you have the money and the need, then its "worth it". If you can't afford it and will have to forego rent to buy this, then maybe its not "worth it".

$500 extra dollars for the extra 256GB is a bit pricey, but not outrageous. Considering Apple is the only game in town right now, and these things are not upgradable until OWC comes up with new modules, that makes it more "worth it", especially if you NEED the space.

Me, personally, if I were to buy a new MBA, I would buy with a 2TB SSD. I'd have to go hungry for a couple of months, but to me that would be "worth" it. :D

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
I went with 256. My current Air har 128, that's an ok amount - I get by, but sometimes have to manage my files a bit. 256 is enough, and I don't think I'd even use more than 300:ish even if I had a 512. But, that's mostly because I have an iMac and NAS with >4Tb space for all my movies, music and whatnot :) So if it was my ONLY computer I'd probably need more. Though then I think 256 + a TB raid solution would be better for me.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
If you're not sure then the chances are that even if you do need it the extra space its not likely to be for a while. I'd go with the 256GB, then by the time you might come to needing more you'll probably find OWC will have an option for new 512gb and it'll be much cheaper I would have thought.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
I think 512GB SSD is a good long term investment if you don't plan on buying the 2013 and 2014 Macbook Air.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I think it is completely worth it. I got the ultimate config, but the 13 version. This stuff is not easily replaceable. I mean I could buy a new drive from OWC and then try to sell my 256, but thats a hassle, I rather just get the bigger drive now and not worry about it. I have 8TB connected to a server at home, I can access everything if I need to but there are some things I just want to have with me, be it pics, movies, or music....if you can't afford it is one thing, but if money is not a problem, then why not...l..

Resseh

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2012
I dont think the extra £200 for the 256GB from 128GB upgrade is worth it. But my Wow folder is 30gb, Diablo is something like 15gb?, i trimmed down my itunes folder but thats still about 50gb and my Apperture library is 40gb.

So whilst i begrudged paying such a large amount for flash RAM, I needed it so paid the extra. I wanted the i7 upgrade but couldnt justify that one though :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.