Is the 6 even worth the upgrade from the 5s? (compared to the 6 Plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnacrumors, Sep 11, 2014.

1. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I'm torn between the 6 and 6+ but every time I think about going with the 6 I think to myself what is actually different about it compared to my current 5s?

iPhone 6 additions:
    + 0.7 inch screen increase
    + 1 - 2 hrs more web browsing
    + 'Focus pixels' on the camera
    + NFC a.k.a. ApplePay
    + 1/4th faster processor

Anything else really? Is that even worthy of an upgrade? :confused:

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

Definitely worth it. This isn't an S release. The bigger screen and ApplePay are two huge reasons alone right there. I'm excited to use my iPhone to pay for stuff all the time.

3. Anti.Hero macrumors member

Anti.Hero

Go with the 6Plus. The 5.5 HD Retina (1080p) Screen and the huge improvement to battery life are well worth the upgrade to the Plus. On top of that you get image stabilization & iPad-esque landscape orientation with your apps.

4. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

fixed

5. Vejper macrumors member

I would upgrade if it wasn't for the fact that I live outside US so I can't use :apple:Pay so I have decided to stay with my iPhone 5s (First time since 3G that I haven't upgraded) but maybe I will get it after it comes back in stock around new year or the minute that :apple:Pay starts working outside the US.

6. nnacrumors thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it just seems like the iPhone 6 isn't that big of a difference from what I already have. Almost feels like a waste of an upgrade with the incremental improvements from the 5s :confused:

The 6+ on the other hand has the following:
    - 1.5 inch increase in screen size
    - 1080p resolution for watching HD content
    - 3 to 4 hours increase in web browsing :eek:
    - Optical image stabilization
    - Focus pixels
    - NFC aka ApplePay
    - 25% faster processor

Seems like a much bigger difference from the 5s that I currently have.

7. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

I had the same feeling as the OP. I am looking to upgrade from an iPhone 4 but with an unlimited plan and a (currently) limited budget, I am considering buying a 5S and waiting for next year's iPhone.

PS--I will wait to see before buying into Apple Pay.

8. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Apple pay can use an entire year to get baked.
    That won't be deployed in so many places for so long it's not even worth worrying about right now.

I lost my 5C is summer.
    I have to be honest I'm considering just getting a 5S at this point and waiting to see the second version of the 5.5 inch

The first generation of the 5.5 inch shouldn't be as large as it is for the screen size it has. That LG model with 5.5 inches is much smaller yet still has a 5.5 inch screen.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

NFC/ApplePay, the 25% faster A8 processor and Focus pixels are both available on the 6 as well.

The only differences are better battery (in a vacuum), OIS, better pixel density, and the improved landscape mode.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

I have a 5 and I'm considering the 4.7". I don't see much reason to upgrade and I can certainly wait a year. So I don't know. I also like to use my phone as a phone which I imagine none of the 5.5" users will be doing (ie, talk into it directly vs using a bluetooth/headphones).

11. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

I don't think there will be a visible upgrade next year. All under the hood. I'm going to 6 though.