Is the 6+ good for sports?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chriscrk, Dec 22, 2014.

1. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

I've been considering upgrading my iPhone 5 to a 6, however I'm super indecisive about which model to get.

Originally I was going with the 6, because I thought the 6+ would be too inconvenient for 1 hand writing, which I do a lot, and that the general size would be uncomfortable for 1 hand use. However I've been trying it out at the store to find it actually works quite well with 1 hand (I guess I have pretty big hands).

So now I'm on the fence. I'd love the 6+ because the screen size is great, the bigger battery also seems very appealing, but I'm seeing it might be a bother if trying to go for jogs or taking it to the gym. Wouldn't want to spend extra on the bigger phone if it's uncomfortable in that sense...

Does anyone have experience with the phone in those situations? Is it too uncomfortable or does it work fine?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Good for sports? Well the 6+ is large enough to be a baseball bat...I just don't recommend it.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do a search as there were several threads on the 6 Plus for runners and gym users several months ago.

The 6 Plus is a commitment to carry but has one heck of a nice screen! I own both and go back and forth, but lately the 6Plus has been my everyday phone and I will be selling the 6

4. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Yeah, I've been reading some threads on other sites. I guess arm bands are the solution.

Thanks anyway!

5. EOB macrumors regular

I go to the gym 5-6 days a week, I use a 6+ to listen to music and honestly it is not that annoying. I tried using it with an armband and did not really like it, but then again I never really liked using armbands.

What I do, is I use a thicker case that protects from drops just in case it falls out of my pocket while weight training, or if I accidentally pull it out of the slots while doing cardio.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

What about running. DO not care much for the gym but love to run 3-4 times a week.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Leave it at home and get a used iPod Nano. It's just too big for running.

8. EOB macrumors regular

When I do go out for a run outside of the gym, I do use an armband.

It might be to big, but for those of us that run a couple of miles away from home, it is always good to have a phone on you, just in case anything happens, like an emergency.

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

yeah its great for when playing basketball, helps your jumpshot, also is a better bat then most other bats out there. great for wiffelball, wider then your regular wiffelball bat

10. ronswansonbaby macrumors newbie

Try something called FlipBelt. The 6+ fits, and paired with some bluetooth headphones it's money. Less than $30 on Amazon.

11. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

One of the big benefits of the iPhone, imo, is the sensors it has to provide you with feedback and all your progress.

And later on with the iWatch, needing the phone to complement that will just make it a bigger deal...

12. markusbeutel macrumors regular

Basically every smartphone out there has this feature - apart from like, blackberries...

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

Guys are working out and concerned about size and weight of the phone? Maybe the 6 plus will become the basis for a grueling Crossfit workout. I recall the Sony Walkman days. It was easily the 6 plus size, but an inch thick. It came with its own pouch and carry strap and it swung from a body in motion. As well it came with foam covered earphones tethered by wire to the device.

14. azhava macrumors regular

I use bluetooth earbuds with mine and they have a range of 30 feet or so from the phone. In a gym (as long as you felt comfortable with setting your phone somewhere), you could easily set your phone against the wall while you were working out rather than having it on you. As far as running goes - I'm a walker/hiker rather than a runner, but I did 3.5 miles today with my 6+ in the pocket of my shorts and my BT earbuds on, hardly even noticed the phone was there. YMMV if you wear spandex or Dolfin shorts while jogging. :)

15. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I will say that i just don't know what the hell to do with my 6+. My fiance has one too, and she can just toss it in her purse and be done. But i'm used to having my phone in my front pocket. Which still works most of the time, but not always. So then what do you do? Just carry it around in your hand lol.

16. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

you could probably sell it and just buy the 6 (if that's an option for you).

17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I didn't like the 6+ just swinging around in my sweat pants just walking around the house, much less trying to do any sort of exercise with it.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

http://flipbelt.com/

Not affiliated in any way. Just a damn good product.

19. MannyC macrumors newbie

I had the iPhone 5 and used to jog with it clipped to my waist. There was no way I could do that with the 6+ with the size difference so I had to buy an armband. I had never used an armband to jog with so it seemed humongous at first. But after the first few times jogging, it became a natural fit. Now I NEVER go jogging without it :)

20. mhdena macrumors 6502

21. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I usually run treadmill and don't use music for that, but when I do 5K and 10K runs, the 6+ comes with me. I ran the 10K Turkey Trot with my 6+ for a little over an hour. Did not use an armband as it was it the pocket of my hoodie with the pockets safety pinned shut.

Honestly, I think the fit belt is the best option as I'm not a huge fan of armbands.

22. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I prefer to do training outdoors. My Suunto / iPhone combo is great.

The watch is Suunto Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire ($650) in concert with my iPhone 5S.

"Whether you're aiming for a summit or a personal best time, Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire is up for the adventure. It tracks heart rate and all the data you need to take your performance to the next level.

With advanced outdoor and multisport functions, the GPS-enabled Ambit3 Peak guides you every step of the way with the data you need to progress and stay informed on your quest

Wirelessly connects to your iPhone® or iPad®; use the free Suunto Movescount App to adjust the watch on the go and visually enrich, relive and share your adventures:

Route navigation; compass; FusedAlti™ altitude; sunrise / sunset; temperature

Activity-based recovery time; speed / pace / distance; Bluetooth® Smart bike power support; tracks multiple sports in 1 log

Timing and GPS satellite data stay up to date when you're on the go

Use your phone as second watch display and take photos while in motion that show your current speed and distance; see calls, messages and push notifications on the watch

Create a Suunto Movie of your adventures and training with 3D map, key metrics and images; upload and share your movements instantly

Up to 50 hrs. battery life with GPS"

Extremely rugged and durable.

23. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I have even a bigger smartphone I use in the gym. I would not bring the Plus there considering the other one is so much cheaper and I do not care if something happens to it as I just use it on wifi and like an Itouch. And it was still cheaper than an itouch.