Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I was planning on getting another MB/MBP as a backup unit however some of them have the 8600 GPU. I keep hearing/reading that the 8600 is bad, for whatever reason and I'm not sure as to why? I don't know if it performs poorly for gaming or if there is some other reason why this GPU is not good/great. Basically, if this chip is that bad, can someone explain why? Assuming I were to get another laptop with this chip in it, I'd only be doing the basics, internet, email, basic photo editing, etc, nothing heavy. Thanks.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
The batch used in the MBPs with 8600's was defective, so they're prone to burning out. I think :apple: offers a free replacement program for the burnt-out ones, but I don't recall the details.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
I was planning on getting another MB/MBP as a backup unit however some of them have the 8600 GPU. I keep hearing/reading that the 8600 is bad, for whatever reason and I'm not sure as to why? I don't know if it performs poorly for gaming or if there is some other reason why this GPU is not good/great. Basically, if this chip is that bad, can someone explain why? Assuming I were to get another laptop with this chip in it, I'd only be doing the basics, internet, email, basic photo editing, etc, nothing heavy. Thanks.

8600 = failbook pro. Stay away from it.

But some people managed to get brand a new 2010 MBP though as a replacement unit when the 8600 failed :p If you want to take the risk, you can try it and hope you get a 2010 machine if it dies :)

iPave

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
Tampere, Finland
8600 will perform just fine for you.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The 8600 was great in terms of performance, the GT330 in the newest MBPs are only slightly faster, the 8600 was a top performer in early 2007.

BUT,
they have had huge problems. The replacements are also failing. I've had one screen and 2x 8600 die on me in my 2007 MBP. There are many forum users here that have had the same problem.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Thanks for all the help everyone. Seems like all the trolls manage to stay in the iPhone forum thankfully. This will be good info to consider if I wind up pulling the trigger on a 8600 MBP.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It will die eventually and Apple's 'fault-free'replacements' will follow suit too thus completing an endless cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.