Is the 9c98 screen really bluer or whiter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RX64MACBOOKPRO, Mar 27, 2009.

1. RX64MACBOOKPRO macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

I have a 17" UMBP 2009, with a 9c98 screen and it doesn't look "blue" or have that "blue tint" - as what others said before

Using apple wallpapers at full brightness:
    I used the "solid white" wallpaper to see how white or blue my lcd is and you get a eye bleeding white tone

then I used a "solid aqua blue" to see how really blue it is and....you get a light blue tone....not as color popping as the solid white wallpaper

can anyone chime in on their experience with 9c98 screens?

2. Kevlar macrumors 6502

3. owen29051992 macrumors newbie

how do you check which screen number you have? i have looked on the small print under the laptop and in display settings but cant find it! :confused:

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

System Preferences > Displays > Color (tab) > Open Profile

Should be line 13 if i recall.....

5. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I can only reply I have the same screen as you, 9c98, and I like
    the original screen (uncalibrated) over almost any attempt at calibration I have seen (close to 10 of them).
    I have no blueish colour either.

cheers

6. RX64MACBOOKPRO thread starter macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

Are the 9c98 screen & 9c99 screen equal in color gamut, gamma, quality overall?

7. brentsg macrumors 68040

You can't even make that claim when you consider only the 9c98's.... or just 9c99's.

8. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

imcurrently comparing my new out of the box 17" MBP to my friends week old 17" MBP.

he has the 9c99 and i have the 9c98 display.
    huge difference in color, contrast, blacks and deep colors.

i tested them side by side playing a full screen HD movie trailer from apple.com and when i paused them when it reached the credits you can certainly tell the difference in color, the 9c99 the black background for the movie in the center meshes with the top and bottom black bars.

the 9c98 the center black bar is much lighter and greyer compared to the top and bottom black bars

putting solid color backgrounds on each system (FF0000) Red and (000000) Black the 9c98 had a contrast issue where it looked much more pinker compared to the 9c99 where it was solid at any angle and lighting environment.

im not sure if im going to bother returning mine, as my friend is on his 3rd due to dust particles in the display and cosmetic blemishes on the top case.
    mine came scuffed out of the package...alittle discerning but im just hesitant since there is no dust or dead pixels or cosmetic blemishes on it...that i can notice and ihave pretty fairly good eyesight and can pick out them pretty easily.

i guess thats for what its worth. :rolleyes:

9. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I have the same screen as you 9c98. I have attached a Calibrated Profile. Try installing it and comparing it side by side with your friend's and let us know. The bluish tint really bothers me, I finally got it fixed but I want to know if the 9c99 is a superior panel.

To install Macintosh HD ->Library -> ColorSync->Profiles

Attached Files:

10. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

nope, no difference on my end ....

11. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

That is truly upsetting, if there are quality differences between screens, Apple should do something about it. As far as I know, Apple has always used two different screen models. It sucks that you never know what you are getting.

12. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

very true, it be great to have it listed on the package info when ordered same where the other specs are.

i might get in touch with apple tomorrow regarding the system, as my friend is just going to keep his even though it has a few nicks and dust under the display but has a solid display regardless.

the quality assurance and stability for these lines havent really been too solid, and theyve had what...3-4 months to perfect a 17" model...the 15" arent too bad; my roomate has one and never had an issue with it, it does have a lighter backlight but it still looks pretty spot on for a 15" notebook.

13. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

If they give you trouble exchanging that machine make sure you tell them you know there are differences of the panel models. For some reason the "genius" guys think everybody is an ape and they know it all.

When you go to Best Buy to buy a TV they set them up side by side so you can pick the best TV so even non professionals do want the best screen they can get but Apple does not give you an option because we are buying the same machine with inferior screen quality.

I am the type of person that I would trade a computer speed for a nice screen anytime. I am not sure whether I am too picky or not, but I cannot use the 13" screen for too long, the inferior screen quality bothers me.