is the Activity app data history backed up in iCloud

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by easteraries, Apr 25, 2015.

1. easteraries macrumors newbie

easteraries

After one full day of testing my Apple Watch I'm really understanding the appeal of the Activity apps on my watch and phone and the insights the data they share can lend.

It occurred to me that my activity history will be valuable to retain as I move to new phones and watches. I looked for the Activity app in my iCloud usage but did not see it.

Has anyone got insights into where/if/how this data is backed up?

2. Andy in Embsay macrumors member

I'd be interested to see where the workout data goes too - the Health app has what looks like some data, but I can't see how I could get it into other apps like Garmin Connect, Rubitrack etc.

3. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

If the third-party app implements support for the Health app they can request to read and/or write to the native health app. I believe apps like Runkeeper and Strava do this so maybe Apple will also allow them to access workout information just like they can access steps, weight, height, etc. I don't have my watch yet so I haven't tried.

As for backing these things up in iCloud, I'm not so sure. Right now, I think data from the Health app is backed up to iCloud but not in the way that you'd get it back when formatting an iPhone and setting it up "as a new iPhone". It seems like the only way you get the health data back on a new device is when you (fully) restore from a previous backup. This, at least to me, is a pain as I format my iPhone a couple of times a year and set it up as new. Maybe this will change but from what I've read about this stuff it seems like that's the case and is related to privacy issues that Apple are being extremely careful with.

4. Azzin macrumors 68040

Presumably the data is saved as part of the phone's backup if you're backing up to iCloud, same as any app.

I'm fairly confident that if I restored my phone from last night's backup, the right data would be there.

5. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Health data is only backed up if you choose the option to encrypt your backup