Is the ADVC300 worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by richpjr, Feb 17, 2008.

1. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have a large number of old VHS and VHS-c movies that I want to convert to DVD. I'll be doing a lot of editing in FCE4 so a VHS to DVD copier is out. I borrowed a friends Hollywood DV-Bridge and while capturing was easy, long video quickly got out of synch with the audio, forcing me to capture small clips at a time which is very time consuming. It also hung a few times. I have researched capture devices and people seem happy with the Canopus products. The ADVC110 supposedly supports locked audio/video on capture which would solve my main issue. The ADVC300 has all that as well as the video clean up functionality and the LTBC. B&H has the ADVC for $399 and the ADVC110 for $199. Is the ADVC300 worth twice the price as the ADVC110? Any other capture products you'd recommend?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Is it worth it? Only you can be the judge of that.

The ADVC300 does have a built-in TBC whcih, in my opinion, does make it worth it. Routing an analog video signal (especially from low quality rcordings such as VHS) through a TBC is one of the best things you can do when capturing to help stabilize the timing errors inherent in analog tape playback.

However, the TBC portion of the converter will NOT correct audio synch problems.

-DH

3. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

They do claim that:

4. -DH macrumors 65816

But that has nothing to do with the TBC portion of the converter ... which is what I was addressing.

-DH

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi Rich,

I sent you a PM. I have a 300 which I am about to sell.
    It's a great box and perfect for your needs.

Cheers,
    Keebler

6. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

To answer my own question - yes.

I received my ADVC300 yesterday (sorry Keebler, I didn't see your message until after I ordered it). I captured a 20 minute clip of a 15 year old VHS tape of my son when he was a baby. I had previously captured this using a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge and had audio sync problems. I compared the quality of the uneditted clips from the two devices and there is a pretty major difference between the two. The audio sync was perfect, the color was better, there was less noise, and the picture was sharper. I haven't had a chance to try and tweak all the settings it has, but so far, while it's expensive, I have been very impressed with it.

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

glad you like it Rich. Too bad about the msg b/c i sent it right after my other post ...doh! I'll sell it though. no worries

happy transferring :)