iPad Is the Air 2 display (hopefully) on the pink side?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Young Turk, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Young Turk macrumors 6502

That's my quick question. Is the Air 2 display on the pink side? I have 1 day to return the refurb Air that I bought from the Apple Refurb store that is otherwise perfect except that its display is a little more on the green side. I prefer the pinkish hue. Thanks all.

2. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

First mistake; there is no "the" Air 2 display. Every single one produced has slight variations, in color temperature, color evenness, lighting evenness, etc.

You can return the one you have and hope for one more to your liking. You may or may not get a pink/green/cool/warm/neutral replacement. Hope is as close to control as you will ever get.

----------

Says YOU looking at YOUR iPad.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Says people with actual equipment to test the color temperature...

:rolleyes:

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

7. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

A couple of bloggers with a spectrometer (or just their bare eyes) testing 1 iPad? Show me the report by Apple showing QC color testing results for a million units and we'll talk.

I've looked a couple of dozen Air 2s in stores, and it's the same story as it always is. Some look cool. Some warm. Some pink. Some green. Some both.

9. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I played the panel lottery too many times back in 2012 when the iPad 3 was released and the one that I settled on had a warmer tint but it mostly even across the entire screen. I rejected several pink, green, and partly yellow ones.

Then iPad Air 2 is definitely cooler relative to my iPad 3. Some sites put their test samples around 7000Kelvin or so. My Retina MBP, which is calibrated to 6500K with my Spyder 4, is warmer when comparing the whites visually with my new iPad had right next to it. I had to return my first Air 2 due to a dead pixel and that panel was about the same color temperature in the middle of the screen. That panel for whatever reason had a slight cooler tint on the right and warmer tint on the left when held in portrait orientation. The 2nd panel was even across the screen, for the most part.

10. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

They do all vary, but I can vouch that all 10 I've seen have had a cool temperature which seems somewhat unusual. I kind of prefer a warmer temp like my iPad 3.

I think Apple is calibrating these on the cool side or it may be a side effect of the anti-glare coating.