Is the air scratchproof?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bioshox, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Bioshox macrumors newbie

Bioshox

Hi Guys

Just a quick one on the MBA, how scratch proof is it?

Obviously it's brushed aluminium it seems like its very hard to surface scratch, so what are your guys experience with scratches on any of the MB Family?

Thanks.

2. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I believe that it's painted and you can get scratches on it fairly easily.

Someone posted a scratch picture in this section a few days ago.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It scratches quite easily afaik. My previous Air did. I mean, normal use wouldn't really harm it (fingernails just touching it and such) but the material isn't exactly scratch-proof.

4. macneubie macrumors regular

Is the unibody painted?

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

i scratched my pro on day 1 lol, i only skimmed it with the edge of a plug as i took it out of my bag. its a tool not an ornament though tbh

6. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

unfortunately they're far from being scratch proof!!

7. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

No it's not scratch proof. If you put it on a surface, for example, make sure it sits on all 4 rubber feet. Not on the edge or anything.

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

No it isn't painted.

9. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Correct, but it is anodized and the coating still comes off when scratched.

10. mmomega, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Not painted or brushed.
    Chemically etched aluminum.

Aluminum is a strong/lightweight but somewhat soft metal so it definitely be scratched.

They are for the most part fairly resilient IMHO.

I'd cover the laptop in a clear shield so you can still get the MacBook beauty and color but also keep it safe from most scratches.

11. jacob-07 macrumors regular

if your worried about scratches you could always get something like a wrapsol film to protect your mac.

12. dominicdiep macrumors member

Was literally about to post a question similar to this. I've had my MacBook Air for over a month now, and so far I haven't noticed any scratches on it yet, as I'm quite a careful user and somewhat paranoid when it comes to this kind of thing. However, I have one of those click-on plastic cases for the Air that I bought on eBay, and I had to take off the base cover because I realised that I had put it on wrong. The 'clip-on' parts of the plastic that holds it secure to the base of the Air had to be taken off in order to remove it from the Air. However, it was a very stiff and difficult task to do, since even with great force it wouldn't easily unattach itself from the base. Thus in addition, I had to use my thumb starting from the middle of the Air (near the part where you lift up the screen) to force a gap between the plastic cover and Air, and since the clip-on part was near the corner, I had to therefore slide my thumb to the corner to get the best grip and space needed to finally pull it off. But because of the force of the plastic cover pushing onto my thumb, I had no choice but slide my thumb (not the edge, but the flat, smooth part) to get to where the corner was. It was painful since I had to do it many times to get it right, and upon inspection I noticed some damage to my thumb nail (white lines due to the friction probably and number of times attempting it). Obviously after finally managing to take it off I had a close look at the edges of the base of the Air where my nail had slid across. Maybe it is the way that metal looks that makes it hard to tell, but I can't tell if I've made any distinct scratches or dents to the edge of the base in doing so, which is quite remarkable. However, I reckon if I had slid the edge of my thumb nail across it instead (not for any practical reason per se, just to see the durability) I reckon there would have been some marks. But I really can't tell if I've damaged it or not.

Anyone else had any experience whether the smooth, flat part of the fingernail can scratch/dent aluminium?

13. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I highly recommend the icarbons brushed aluminum skin - it does a great job of protecting the Air, adds almost no bulk or weight, and retains the look of the original Air.

14. glen e macrumors 68030

Amen, unless you are looking close, the alum skin is identical and protects...I have CF skin on top and alum on bottom....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Those look fantastic! Two questions, though :

1. Have you noticed any heating issues from having those skins? I remember seeing an argument about this somewhere, but I just want a simple yes or no based on your experience.

2. How easy would it be in removing them in the future?

16. glen e macrumors 68030

1. No, none
    2. They peel off with no residue....I have had 3 mbas all with these skins...

17. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Awesome! I'm thinking about getting all 3 surfaces

Any reason other than $ for not getting the back and KB iCarbons?