Is the Airport Express Sufficient for my Needs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rhyno37, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

I'm looking to purchase a new router to replace my current netgear that has been dropping signal and it's range has been diminished (think it was struck by lightning). I've currently got my eye on the Apple Airport Express. I've read great things about it, but want to make sure it will work for my needs. I live in a ~1300 sq ft home, single story with a finished basement. Generally, these devices will be connected: 2 iPhone 5S, Macbook Air, Apple TV, iPad Air 2, PS4, windows desktop. Obviously not all devices are in use at the same time. All devices will be connected wirelessly. Our current internet speeds average around 30Mbps down and 3Mbps up. There is only one other person in my household, besides when we have guests.

From what I've mentioned, will the Airport express be sufficient? I am most worried about range. I see that it supports up to 50 devices at once which is a plus, and the guest network is a huge plus. Also, those who have it how do you like it? I hear its extremely simple to set up. Thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is a fine router but you may want to consider the AirPort Extreme instead for a few reasons. The AirPort Extreme has Gigabit Ethernet, wireless AC, support for USB hard drives and Time Machine, as well as beam forming. The Express includes only 10/100 ports, wireless N, USB printer support, and AirPlay which is unique to the Express.

Both are extremely simple to set up and will work fantastically in your network. I would only advise the Extreme since it lets you grow with the faster ports, the hard drive capability over USB, and wireless AC.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Agreed. I was looking at the AirPort Express today on Apple's website and it is severely lacking where speed is concerned. In fact, its speeds were more common in routers four years ago than now (at least at that price point). The AirPort Extreme is much quicker and a better investment for the future.

4. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

Any idea where or how I can get one for less than $184.99?

5. Trav1s macrumors newbie

There is a refurb of the most recent version for $169 right now on the Apple Store online

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I use them as access points at my high school. There are 12 of them and we have 150+ clients per day. It is quite the network!

You can look at Best Buy for refurbished models or Apple Certified Refurbished here. Apple refurbished products are the best in the industry and I have never had an issue. The only difference you will ever see is a more generic white box.