Is The AirPort Express worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ilikecorn500, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ilikecorn500 macrumors member

ilikecorn500

Right now I have the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, and it's not doing so well with more than eight devices. If I were to replace it, would the AirPort Express be a good choice? I know it's a good router, but can it handle a lot of devices? I've only read a few reviews stating anything about the number of devices it can handle. I have 4 iPhones, an iPad mini, 3 Macs, an Apple TV, and a Wii.

Thanks.

2. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Bought a Refurbished Airport Express from the Apple Store last August which replaced a Linksky Router which was giving me problems. The AE is a great piece in equipment and noticeble difference in speed on the internet.

3. rayward macrumors 68000

Wouldn't an Airport Extreme be better suited to those kinds of demands?

4. ilikecorn500 thread starter macrumors member

ilikecorn500

Yes, because it's a better router, but I'm not interested in spending $200+ on a router. Would the Express be good enough? I remember Apple used to tell you how many devices their routers could support, but they don't anymore.

----------

How's the range of the WiFi? Also, I stream a lot of shows on my Apple TV and computer. How well does it handle high bandwidth applications?

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

It's still 50 users on both accounts, IMHO.

6. calaverasgrande, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

one thing I havent seen mentioned is that AFAIK the Airport express is also the only Airport that is also an Airplay device. It has an audio output jack.
    So I mounted mine next to my TV and I play my iTunes through my stereo from across the room. (no video going on here, I just happen to have my TV, stereo and some other stuff plugged in to the same speakers)
    I actually spent a while comparing all the Apple routers and several other brands.
    For non gamers at least, I can't think of a better value than the extreme.
    I only mention gamers because the geekier routers offer more specific settings for networked gaming.

The other place that all the Apple router/wifi boxes kind of lack is the number of actual ethernet jacks.
    Though a gigabit 8 port swtich is pretty cheap these days, it sucks to have yet another piece of network gear piled under your desk/entertainment center/futon.

7. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

The wireless chipset in the third-generation Express isn't going to blow your socks off, and isn't exactly all that Wireless N could be due to the number of antennas/spatial streams, but it's a great device to extend a network or use as an AirPlay device. I would expect a marked improvement once Apple updates the device to AC, mostly because of additional antennas, streams, and bandwidth per stream, but who knows when that will be, given the long update cycles of the AirPort Express.

8. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I'm afraid they might ditch the airplay feature.
    If any of you have priced out bluetooth speakers, it's actually cheaper to buy plain old powered speakers and one of these than a "true" BT speaker.
    Those things are far too overpriced!
    And you get a router/AP fro the price.
    I was prepared to pay more for the Extreme until I noticed it lacked the airplay feature.
    I'm probably going to pick up an extra one of these just to give me another airplay in the kitchen (which will also extend my wifi all the way to the back of my place).
    I like listening to Devo when I wash dishes.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I manage a network of 70+ clients with AirPort Expresses functioning as access points (APs) and one Extreme handling the routing. Some Expresses see loads of 20+ at times with no issues. I would never recommend hitting more than 25 though.

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I need a router for my 2007 MBP. The house is a one story and only 1200 square feet. The only other device I'd ever need to hook up to it is a printer. Would the AirPort Express be good enough?

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It should be. That is the best answer we can give you. Many factors like wall material, signal obstructions, and placement all affect how well it will perform.

12. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Yes, my brother has a very similar setup and his works extremely well.

13. 50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

I have had nothing but a positive experience with the one I have installed.

14. push/pull macrumors newbie

Yes. It is a great device. I had a couple for a while to stream music around the house and for a printer.

----------

I would think so. Subtract the Apple TV and Wii and I have had that running no problem.

I would still recommend the Extreme Base Station. Find a last gen used one. We have 3 networks from the Base station. An 5ghz network for systems, one for mobile devices and a guest network that doesn't require a pass word.

Either way it is one of the easiest routers to set up.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I never tell people it is a 100% working idea as their circumstance may be different. I don't know if his 1200 Sq. Ft. home has regular wood walls or concrete with rebar. However, there shouldn't be any problems.