Is the Airport Extreme Base Station what I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TeeBoi, Nov 7, 2009.

1. TeeBoi macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a new wireless router. After an hour on the phone with D-Links technical support, I believe my DIR-655 has died.

I'm looking at getting an Airport Extreme Base Station.

I would be using the AEBS to connect a 13" uMBP, Windows XP desktop, PS3, Wii, Printer, PSP, DSi, and an iPhone. I have read that there have been some problems with setting up the AEBS to run smoothly with a PS3.

I have a few questions: Is the AEBS right for my situation? Can I setup the AEBS with my uMBP then run an ethernet cable to connect my XP desktop (as it doesn't have wifi capabilities?

Thanks for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

-tyler

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Unsure about the PS3, but the 360 works fine with my setup.

The AEBS has 3 internal LAN ports and one WAN, so you can hook as many WiFi devices as possible, and up to 3 wired devices. You can expand those internal LAN ports by purchasing an external switch, if you need more than 3.

EDIT: I just bought two AEBS and have them linked wirelessly to supply LAN ports to my devices in the basement that do not have WiFi.

3. tdgrn macrumors 6502

The AEBS works perfectly with everything that I have, which includes a MBP, Windows XP Media Server, PS3, Xbox 360, Multiple iPhones, various laptops (fiancé's friends come over to study), and netbooks. Everything works like a champ, right out of the box, as it should. Get it, forget it.