Is the Airport Extreme right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by *LTD*, Jul 22, 2010.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Situation:

I recently discovered that the Ethernet controller/card/whatnot in my MBP is malfunctioning. But my SMC Gateway (SMC D3GN, a DOCSIS 3.0 gateway providing 802.11n wireless connectivity) router also has wireless, so not all is lost. For now, I decided to just run my internet off the wireless connection.

Ethernet connection was 25mbps, but wireless is a very respectable 22 - 22.5mbps. I'm with Rogers in Canada. Seeing that my wireless is nearly as fast (in upload speeds as well) and feels very snappy, and given the fact that I'm not really inclined at this time to take my Mac in for repairs, I thought I'd try to go all-wireless.

So the wireless connection on my SMC Gateway is pretty fast, but would using an Airport Express max out my speeds, or at least get me closer to my regular Ethernet speeds? From what I've been reading it's one of the best wireless routers out there.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

2. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Nevermind. I just had to change the DNS server. :rolleyes:

3. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

In any case, I'd still be interested in opinions. Just how fast is the Airport Extreme? I get 25mbps via cable/ethernet.

I'm looking forward to running one less wire through my home office. Can the Airport Extreme handle a heavy user like myself? I don't want to sacrifice a lot of speed or performance, though . . .