Is the Aluminum MacBook LED screen really that bad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Apr 12, 2009.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

Compared to the White MacBook which has an downright awful screen, the aluminum macbook isn't that bad. However, it should be been bought up to par to the MacBook Air in terms of screen quality

2. Psychmike macrumors regular

Are you asking a question or answering it?

I have the Macbook and the screen isn't that bad at all. Yeah, I made a few visits to the Apple Store and bemoaned the vertical viewing angle and glare in the lit show room but these things have not been significant problems at all for me in real world usage. Once or twice I've switched seats in a cafe to avoid window glare, that's it.

I also saw those photos online where the Macbook screen looked horrible in comparison with the MBP. Tried as I have, I have not been able to reproduce that kind of difference in the store unless you're viewing the screens from quite off of centre.

To my knowledge Apple is using the same screen in the unibodies that they used in the plastic Macbooks only with an LED backlight.

3. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Should have been... but it really didn't hurt their sales at all did it? When people advertise notebook screens its always about size, never quality :(

4. nutritious macrumors 6502

yes, it is bad. The viewing angles on it are pathetic. The screen only looks somewhat decent when it's directly in front of your face. In fact, the navigation screen in my car has better viewing angles than the macbook.

5. brianr19 macrumors member

agree the screen on the white mb is pathetic. it might be the glass. matte screens are not this way at all. i have the new white mb and cant wait to get rid of it lol...

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Your white MB does NOT have a glass screen. Only the unibodies do. If you can't wait to get rid of it, why did you but it in the first place? A king of waste in my opinion, especially in this current economical condition.

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

The screen isn't that bad if you are looking directly at it but theres no doubt that they saved some money on it. Maybe the refreshes will have better ones?

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If they put the same screen on the unibodies that they did on the macbook air, who would buy the macbook air? If they put the same screen on the macbook that they did on the macbook pro, but smaller, it would really cut into macbook pro sales. I dare say that not everyone needs a second graphics card, firewire or the ability to put 8 gigs on a laptop.

Apple has always cheaped out on its consumer laptop screens, period. If you value portability, keep the mb and get a nice external monitor for your desk. If you don't, pony up for a mbp from the refurb section.

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Remember, it is only LED backlighting. That doesn't make any difference to viewing angles etc.

10. acurafan macrumors 6502a

from all these complaints, it seems apple needs to make a 13.3 macbook pro. a better lcd screen w/higher resolution like it's bigger brothers.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You're assuming that apple listens or cares. They'll do what they want, especially if people keep buying a metric s#$t ton of the new machines.

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

combine this thought with clyde2801's sig and you have a pretty decent historical context to this problem;)

13. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

That's one I think all the former and current 12" Powerbook owners would jump for joy over.............

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Oh, SNAP!!!:D

15. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Why? The 12" PowerBook's screen was atrocious. Low resolution, not very bright at all, lousy viewing angles. I owned a 12" PB and it was one of the worst computer-buying mistakes I've ever made.

Apple really should equip the $1599 MB configuration with the MBA's screen, though. The MB's screen is not the worst on the market, but it's not "premium" at all.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...apple seems to be the only company that can charge more for larger products:eek:

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801