Is the annoyance unnecesary?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CJJflag, Oct 23, 2012.

1. CJJflag macrumors newbie

This applies across the apple range, but more specifically to the new iPad, iphones and ipods.

Apple upgrade their 'more portable' ranges (Macbooks aside), unbelievably rapidly now. And its easy to see why people are getting so frustrated having had the top product for just over 6 months and it then being replaced.

However, I think its going to lead to a new outlook on Apple products and one that leaves each user more satisfied.

These products are not cheap. At $700 a time, they are not meant to be disposable, they are meant to last and to be fair to apple, they are in large designed and built to last as well.

I feel soon people are going to look at an apple product that suits their needs for the long term rather than one that lasts just a year. I waited for the new Macbook Pro only to decide that once it was released, the best option for me was to grab a 17 inch while they were still around even though it was already old news the second it arrived in my hands.

It doesn't matter if its the top model and it doesn't matter if you are the envy of the world, (even though both do feel good every now and then!) Once that feeling goes, you need to be left with a product that will serve you well regardless of the new products knocking around.

3Gs iphones still do the business for many people, the original ipad still plays movies and surfs the net and 20gb ipods from 8 years ago still play music just as well as the new ones.

I'm not saying we need to live in the past, far from it, this company pushes the boundaries and who doesn't love getting a shiny new Apple product? Just that these products don't stop being awesome the second a new one is out.

I can't help but feel the regularity with which the ipad / iphone is being updated and the lack of difference between models each release means people will wait longer before buying upgrading.

Just my 2 cents. Thoughts?

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Everyone wants to have their devices to be latest and greatest.
    They just don't want apple to update every 6 months-12 months while other samsung fans gets to see new devices every month.

3. CJJflag thread starter macrumors newbie

you're saying you want new products every month...??? surely not!

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

If Apple was looking to appease existing customers only, then maybe, but their aim is to attract new customers as well which requires some responsiveness to the market.

For example, Apple sold 15 million iPads in 2010, over 40MM in 2011 and possibly 60MM this year. Each iteration draws in new customers as well as repeaters. Apple needs to stay "current" to appeal to that market and can't sit back and worry about whether the iPad 3 buyer will feel "cheated" if they release a new variant too soon. If you believed you were getting fair value when you purchased it then you shouldn't feel cheated that a newer, better one is being released.

5. stuaz macrumors 6502

I think if you buy any gadget you have to accept that it will be outdated by the time you get it home.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is Android fault! They update every month, Apple has to catch up! ;)

Here is another plus for buying last year's model. U know what you are getting, at a discount, and when $&^@ like this happens, you don't care!

7. CJJflag thread starter macrumors newbie

Completely agree. Got to be satisfied with what you've bought when you're shelling out £££/$$$.