Is the anodizing coming off my AW S2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Chparigi, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Chparigi macrumors member

I received my AW Series 2 yesterday - though not the biggest improvements have been made, i still think that the exterior looks a bit different, mainly the screen and the casing seem to go more "into another"

But i found the "issue" just after 1 hour of use. As seen in the picture, there's a white dot just besides the screen on the bezel, where the anodizing has come off. I have just had it on my wrist while sitting, so it's not caused by any reckless behavior from me. and if i had done anything to the watch, i think that more of the bezel would have been damaged, since it's quite hard for anything to get in there.

So what do you think? Should i get it replaced, or do your watches also look this way?

[​IMG]

2. arman94 macrumors regular

This is widespread issue for Apple Watch Sport SB model. I have replaced 5 Apple Watches for this issue.

P.S.
    Here is Apple Replacement Watch with the same issue just out of the box.
    fullsizeoutput_d61.jpeg fullsizeoutput_d5f.jpeg

3. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

Damn that's annoying. So what would you say? I have had 12 iPhone 6 (yes, 12) so replacing is my last option. Also, i know that Apple will prioritize the orders, so that means at least two weeks of waiting

4. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Take a few more pics, and make Apple aware of it via a phone call and case number, then use it for a few weeks and then wait for stocks to replenish. I wouldn't put up with it.

5. arman94 macrumors regular

I would say just return it and buy a new one again. Why ? Cause I think Apple Watch Replacement models' quality is not so good.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    Apple will define it as "cosmetic damage" and it is 50/50 if they will replace it or not.

6. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for all your replies!

I'm thinking about either returning it, or just keeping it, and I'm a bit torn about this.

I started out buying an Apple Watch Sport a year back, but the same thing happened, so I sold it and bought a stainless steel instead. Back then I thought it was just tear, but now I see that it might not be.

It's a small thing, and that's also why I'm considering not returning it. It's a small dent hardly noticeable. But it's also a principle that the product I receive is flawless (at least I expect that for the price I paid)

7. arman94 macrumors regular

The main problem is that during the time a new white spots can appear or you can take a normal aluminium version, cause it does not have painting.

8. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your help!

So the verdict? I called up apple and returned it for a new one. The Danosh support didn't quite understand the issue (thy have lately been quite unhelpful, unfortunately) but as soon as i got in touch with after sales, they promptly set up a return. DHL is picking up my parcel today, and when they receive it, the new watch will be shipped as soon as it is availible. I was promised to receive a priority spot in the queue

9. arman94 macrumors regular

Great. Hope the new one will be without issues

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I actually have this in the groove where the band slides in. Very minor but I noticed it today. We will seen if it gets worse.

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My stainless black had scratch in that same spot today but it's long not just a dot and silver instead of black. I see it whenever checking time so I'll have to send it back.

I've seen the bezel in that area bad before. They must hit it during assembly or something or it's never great out of the machine.

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

This is why I've stuck with the bare "silver" aluminum devices for so long. Apple's coatings don't impress me. It's especially a pain on iPads which retain the chamfered edges on which this issue is most prominent.

13. arman94 macrumors regular

I got several Apple Watch replacements with bad painting. All replacements were refurbished ones with Model number starting with "N". So, maybe during re-assembly progress workers are not very "careful". I always had bad experience with refurbished product.

14. Binarymix macrumors 65816

Mine has 2 marks in the exact same spot.

My side button is loose, and my nylon band was fraying out of the box.

It also takes GREAT force to get the nylon band off the watch.

I don't know what to do. I hate sending stuff back and Apple doesn't have any replacements in store.

It might be a long wait if I decide to return it.

*sigh*
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    On a side note, I just noticed the back is now ceramic on the Series 2 aluminum. Missed that during the keynote. Nice.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    Arg!! Now I tested some other Apple bands and 3rd party bands, and they are all VERY tight. One got stuck and I had to force it out almost breaking the band. WTH is up?

15. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

I just got news that, despite the long wait to get a new apple watch (3-5 weeks) it has just been shipped. From CHINA! So now i just wait for UPS to deliver it next week :)

16. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

The stock in U.K. got a lot better yesterday. Pickup available in every store for the S2.

17. arman94 macrumors regular

I think that demand for Apple Watch is not so high.

18. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

I live in Denmark, and we don't have any apple stores... so I have to do it this way :)