Is the antenna the only upgrade on the new AEBS/TC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rgarjr, Oct 20, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Apart from having the power brick built-in on the AEBS.

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I believe so...but I too would like to know of any enhancements. Thinking of swapping my 2nd Gen 1TB TC for a new one. :cool:

3. dmm219 macrumors 6502

I didn't catch this. Do you mean the power supply is now INSIDE the AEBS? Just like the TC?

You realize this is a really BAD thing right? (look down at all the dying TC threads...)

4. kellte2 macrumors regular

Yea, if you notice on the AEBS specs page, they power/energy field now mirrors the Airport Express and the Time Machine - It used to be unique since it was the only device with the external power adapter.

I'm with you though, I think the internal power source has proven itself to be the bane of the Time Machine's existence. That and I'm slightly miffed that I bought my AEBS three weeks ago so I'm rationalizing why I'm glad to have mine compared to these new ones.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Same
    Bought mine exactly 29 days ago and now they go and do this.

6. kellte2 macrumors regular

Yep. I received mine on September 22nd. Certainly annoying.

7. rgarjr thread starter macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah as if the AEBS didn't get hot enough already. Putting the power supply inside will get it cooking a little warmer..

8. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I got my Airport Extreme on 9/27. I talked to an Apple Manager who was veerry nice and will take it back. Probably having a business account with them helps, but kudos to Apple certainly for this merciful gesture. :)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't get why they did this. Now I think I'll save some dough and look for the "old" one. I kind of wonder if my current one is dying.

10. kellte2 macrumors regular

Hey, whatever works. That's great news. I ordered mine online, so I'm afraid I won't find a person quite as sympathetic. A policy is a policy is a policy. Lesson learned: buy from Amazon. If I did that, I'd still be within the 30 day window.

11. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

My AEBS is being delivered tomorrow! ...but it's now "old". That's OK. It'll be a step up from my 5 or so yo router that's been flaking out like mad in the last few months and was stilll $80 less than the new ones.

I wonder if the problem with the failing TCs is the combined heat effect of the internal PS and the hard drive whereas an AEBS with the PS internal still falls below whatever that "failing" threshold is.

12. rgarjr thread starter macrumors 603

rgarjr

I'm actually looking closer on the picture of the AEBS and it looks like the power brick stayed seperate. Don't know where I read it was built in. :rolleyes:

13. kellte2 macrumors regular

Check the "Tech Specs" Page. It never used to be the same as the Time Capsule and now it is. Something changed in terms of the power supply.

14. jordan.breeding macrumors newbie

15. dmm219 macrumors 6502

I guess we're gonna have to wait for a MR forum member to buy one and let us all know :)

I will not buy another TC (or AEBS) with the internal power supply design. I've been burned once. I won't be burnt twice by Apple...

16. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Look at the power connectors folks. The AEBS has the small pin type connector whereas TC has the 110V type connector. Assuming these are current pics, the AEBS still has the external Power brick (wart).

17. leonk macrumors member

Look at the specs .. electrical: 12VDC 1.8A

It still uses an external brick to get power.

18. kellte2 macrumors regular

This is right. I stand corrected.

19. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It says that the new TC enables faster TM backups with Snow Leopard. I'm not sure what hardware changes would affect this as I was led to believe by an Apple Genius rep that the slow backups were due to QoS settings that ensured a backup wouldn't kill your internet browsing experience... I would assume that would be more a function of new firmware which would beg the question, why can't this improvement be passed on to older versions?

20. ams23 macrumors newbie

just set up new airport extreme

just got it today and i can confirm:
    1. power brick is still external
    2. new version of airport utility with the unit with some added tweaks (which i'm expecting will be available via software update in the future for other models)-- mobileme advanced tab now allows multiple mobileme account holders to be listed for backtomymac functionality
    3. range is much improved over my prior dual-band airport extreme (early '09) unit

21. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I was in Atlanta's Lenox Mall store and they had no new TCs or AEBSs. Where did you get yours? :confused:

22. ams23 macrumors newbie

ordered it online on the day they were announced and it shipped that day (despite it saying 1-3 business days)...i'm sure the stores will have them soon (some seem to be better stocked than others)

23. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I'm torn between the AEBS and TC. I have a first-generation TC and have had no problems with it, but I worry that a new one might fail. :(

24. crellion macrumors member

Awesome dude! Now here's the magical question - is this 3x3 antenna improvement capable of the new 450mbps improvement or is it still stuck at 300mbps (but with 3x3 antennas?)

Also - I think this new model is now a "Standard" N router (no draft at all) - can you confirm that?