Is the anti-glare display "fuzzier"?

benj07

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Hi all,

To anyone who has the anti-glare display: does the picture seem "fuzzier" than the glossy screens? I'm contemplating AG vs. glossy. Most matte screens I have seen have some level of visual noise. This seems like a deal-breaker to me, but I haven't seen any other posts about the issue.

Thanks!

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Hi all,

To anyone who has the anti-glare display: does the picture seem "fuzzier" than the glossy screens? I'm contemplating AG vs. glossy. Most matte screens I have seen have some level of visual noise. This seems like a deal-breaker to me, but I haven't seen any other posts about the issue.

Thanks!
Not that it matters but in perfect lighting, the glossy screen will have a clearer look than the antiglare due to the nature of normal matte screens. Not a deal breaker at all. Matte is better overall for most lighting conditions.

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Not at all. Coming from the glossy screen on my MBP I love the replaced AG screen that replaced it.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Got one yesterday. Everything is very sharp, no problems there. But in my experience everything is either way too bright, or all the colors are very dull/faded. Haven't found a brightness setting yet that gives me good/full colors without blinding whites.

I'd really advise you to keep looking for a store that has both on display so you can compare them yourself, or maybe a friend/acquaintance. Would've saved me a lot of doubting and eventually the dilemma I'm facing now.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Compare 17" in store, they are the same resolution. Yes, IMO, matte is fuzzy, lacking the crispness and sharpness of the glossy.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Hi all,

Thanks!
I think the display isn't quite as crisp as the glossy. I too contemplated the AG over the glossy but wound up sticking with the glossy instead. really like how the screen pops and seems more vibrant looking than the AG screen. I'm sure you can adjust the settings if you get the AG screen but I really like the glossy for its clarity.

sadcamper

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
I think most of us went through this dilemma...when looking at them in the store, there's no doubt that the glossy looks sharper.

That being said, when you get the matte home...you no longer have a direct comparison, and the screen no longer looks "fuzzier"...it's actually quite a beautiful display.

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
Looks much sharper to me. I like my glossy, but if the antiglare had protection over it I would have went for it.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Yes. I prefer the older style matte LCDs on the A1226/A1260 Macbook Pros, or the glossy ones on newer Macbook Pros with the glass removed. The glass has no place being there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.