Is the 'app refresh after multitasking' bug solved?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Wegee, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Wegee, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

Wegee macrumors member

I guys, anyone noticed if the app refresh bug (that makes switching between apps basically useless) is solved with ios 8?

I mean this one: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5380124?tstart=0 etc...

EDIT: also, I can see very big problems with this bug and the new 'continuity' feature

2. Wegee thread starter macrumors member

Up

I know it's still a beta, but maybe there is already some improvement in the core's code: anyone tested yet?

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I don't always have this issue in iOS 7, can't say for certain in iOS 8. Not sure if it is a bug but really seems to be an issue with low memory on the device. Maybe they've improved memory management. I'll see if I can do some testing later.

4. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by this. It happens to me all the time with Safari and Facebook. Drives me nuts!

I am not using iOS 8 anymore (uninstalled beta 1 the same day), but I will probably install beta 2 and see how it goes.

5. GreyOS, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I believe a few found that 7.1 improved the memory handling of Safari and so saw this less. Personally I've not really noticed it much, so can't comment much on whether 8 has improved.

I agree that switching to one app and then back, you don't want that app to be reloading. But as a more general thing, I don't think you can ever completely avoid apps having to reload like this. Sometimes apps will have to be taken out of memory to make room for others. What can be improved is better memory management so this happens less or more intelligently and better recovery by the app. Also more RAM lol

6. Wegee thread starter macrumors member

Probably. I'm not a developer, so I can be imprecise, but someone more expert than me called this 'Memory Leak', I don't know if it's a bug or just a bad memory management. Anyway, if you google 'ios 7 memory leaks' you can find many discussions, unfortunately without solutions (for now).
    The problem is that this is about not only the old devices but the newest ones with more ram also (all ios 7.x, io6 is not affected).

----------

I don't understand how can a feature like Continuity can deal with this problem. Imagine writing a mail or writing a document on the computer and then move to the iPad and see a refresh that reset the status of the app so you lost/crash/need to re-sync the work done before, maybe when you are not at the computer. It feels a bit unreliable.

7. GreyOS, Jun 17, 2014

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I don't follow you? Step through a scenario where you think there's a problem.

Btw, this isn't directly related to Continuity, but may tie into your concerns: If I start writing an email in Mail, then switch to another app, then quit Mail from multitasking, the next time I load Mail it has my email waiting. Quitting unexpectedly from the multitasking should be similar to being purged from memory suddenly (i.e. the cause of the reloading that you're seeing). So it shows that it was the act of going into the background where the state of the Mail app was saved to storage to be restored later.

That said...

https://developer.apple.com/library...uide/StatePreservation/StatePreservation.html

But that's by the by. So, Mail as a first-party app seems to preserve state even on quitting. Doesn't matter. All apps purged from memory should be able to preserve a state if they wish to.

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Exactly. Safari also remembers the webpage you are on too. A good fix could be for it to also remember the position of the page you were on.

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

True, although if the content has changed this may be tricky. It makes you wonder what the reasoning for not preserving a cache of the entire page is (rather than just the URL).

I'm guessing one concern is that pages can be quite large and storing multiple tabs would take a chunk of storage and the read/write operations may take a while. Any other ideas?

10. Wegee, Jun 17, 2014

Wegee thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I'm sorry, I admit that probably is difficult for me to translate my ideas since english is not my first language. I didn't meant that this is related to Continuity, I was thinking that the problem could be worst with Continuity.
    Anyway, you are right with this scenario, but the problem I see now is that many apps are not recovering from their status, but they reset and reload without the previous entered queries/data/etc, so I'm curious if this problem can affect the native apps also, and so Continuty (yet in ios 8).

I'll make some examples here with non native apps that doesn't recover from their status correctly when multitasked (it's not always, but very often since ios 7):

- youtube, doesn't remember search/query, or where you are watching a video, it resets to default
    - Twitter, reload everything and doesn't remember where you left
    - Feedly, same as above, reset where you left reading articles, so you lose the feed etc
    - Facebook, ok is rubbish, but as above, reset everything
    - Google maps, as above, fast switching in multitasking can reset your query and goes to default
    - Gmail, reload everything and restart from login...

There are more I can't remeber now, but basically every app behave like this when multitasked intensively. The only one I can recall now is goodreader, but probably because it writes the status in a sort of temporary file.
    Say you need to do some cut & paste between apps and this can be a real annoying problem...

----------

The problem is that this happens also with one tab, so I don't know if this is about storage. Also, reading from storage isn't faster than reload via cell-data the page (it also preserves internet traffic)? Why not just timing the use, I mean: if the app is not used for 5/10/20/whatever minutes, then it reloads. Otherwise the status is saved.

edit: some typo

11. GreyOS, Jun 17, 2014

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yeah, I don't know much about the state preservation that apps are able to take advantage of, but from your list it seems they could do things better.

And yes you're right, reloading would take longer than reading from disk. Although there's still the writing overhead. But yeah, probably not a speed thing. *shrug*

Btw, as I said before I never noticed the issue much on iOS 7 ( I guess i'm not a heavy user). However on my iPhone 5 on iOS 8 now, I loaded a page in safari. Then I opened 20 apps (without ever going back to safari). When i went back to safari the page was still there, didn't reload. So, make of that what you will. So maybe it does preserve state better, or maybe it protects it better when it looks for apps to purge, or perhaps i just didn't open enough apps.

12. Wegee thread starter macrumors member

Well, thank you all! Let's see if after the first betas thing will be better.