Is the Apple Care transferable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v2club, Aug 19, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

Together with my MBP I purchased AppleCare Protection Plan. If I sell my MBP and buy some other Mac laptop or desktop, can I transfer the AppleCare Protection Plan to the new one or it goes with the one I'm selling, which means that I'm gonna have to buy a new AppleCare Protection Plan together with the new laptop or desktop?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

AppleCare stays with the machine it is bought/registered to.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

While AppleCare does stay with the machine, you can now call Apple and get a pro rata refund.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can transfer AppleCare to another machine of the same type (ie: You can transfer the AppleCare from a 15" MacBook Pro to another 15" MacBook Pro, but not to a iMac) as long as the second machine is still under the original one-year limited warranty; you cannot transfer AppleCare to a computer that already has AppleCare or expired warranty/AppleCare. Furthermore, you cannot buy AppleCare again for the second machine once it's been transferred over from another machine.

The gist of it: it's a crappy idea; you don't really gain anything if you only have say one year of AppleCare left since you don't gain anything on the second machine (since AppleCare replaced the original warranty).

Getting a prorated refund isn't that stellar either, if that's what you want, be warned—if you've ever used Apple technical support, repairs, etc., you will be docked the charges from the prorated balance. In the end you might have say 2 years of AppleCare left, but because you did 3 repairs and made 6 calls, you'll actually get no money back if you request a refund.

Now if you're trying to sell the machine, AppleCare would help with the sale; if you don't intend to sell the machine, consider it a good investment.

If your intention is to get a refund on AppleCare later, might as well not buy it in the first place; just sell your computer every year. Transfer AppleCare around only screws yourself. My 2¢.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If anyone in the UK comes across this note that if you buy AppleCare in store (not online) you can get a simple pro-rata refund. There's a law which states apple can't deduct fees for processing or for any work you have had done.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's nice. The only time I requested a refund, I got like $3.67 back when there was 2 years and 8 months left on the AppleCare (because they replaced the machine… In this case, if I knew back then I would have transferred the AppleCare).

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

This. It's possible but generally not worth it.

8. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Is the Higher Education Apple Care also transferable? (free AC with all purchases from the online store).

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No. The HE warranty is separate to AppleCare and is not transferable.

----------

That depends. If the work was done in the first year, then it wont affect your refund. However, if the work was done in years 2/3, or you made phone support calls in year 1 (outside of 90 days), then it will be docked from the refund.

That's normal practice, and is perfectly legal in the UK. Also bear in mind that, because of the phone support, the refund will be prorated over all 3 years, including the original warranty.