Is the Apple Cinema Display worth it.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by XvMMvX, Feb 22, 2011.

1. XvMMvX macrumors newbie

Will be getting two 13 inch MBPs for the wife and I but we wont a "dock" in our office we can both hook up to.

Is the 27" apple cinema display worth the scratch? Or is the a better solution?

2. rwlcpa macrumors newbie

I just picked one up from the Apple store over the weekend to run with my MBA 13" and it sure is nice!!! I simply couldn't find anything else with similar specs that operates so flawlessly with my MacBook Air. I have only had it for all of 72 hours and I have no regrets whatsoever on dropping the bills to pick it up!

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

In short, if you don't mind the extra cost, it's well worth it.

4. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Imho it's well worth the money. I initially bought the DELL U3011 and it was just horrible to use. The panel looked very grainy and had a strong "sparkle" effect. I RMAed it for the Apple LED Cinema Display 27" and its hands down the best display I've ever owned. Text is extremely clear and the colors are incredibly vivid.

That being said, Samsung is releasing a new 27" 2560x1440 PLS display, the SA850, sometime early to mid-2011. The SA850 should be very comparable to the ACD27" but cheaper as these new PLS panels are apparently cheaper to manufacture than the LG IPS panels used by Apple.

5. wing1 macrumors newbie

this thing is beautiful, dont let bad reviews deter you. for the money, there isnt any monitors out there that offers what the ACD does.

Bonuses are great build quality, isight and speakers (less desk clutter)

So its really the cost, if you can swing it get it!

6. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Apart from professional critical colour use they are good monitors.

7. coollai macrumors newbie

I received my ACD more than 1 week ago and so far it has been great. I am not someone who is particular about color and my primary reason for getting a new monitor is for the high resolution. Initially I was considering the Dell U2711 and ACD but decided to get the ACD mainly due to its integration with my MBP/MBA. Auto power on, built-in charger etc.

8. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I too was wondering whether the ACD was worth the investment. I have what was the top of the line 24" Samsung monitor about two years ago and I find it sorely lacking in comparison to the ACD. My question is whether you can hook up a PC to it?

9. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Not to be rude JoJoCal19, but this question has been answered about a million times on this forum. The ACD27" works flawlessly on PCs (it's the best PC monitor I've ever owned). All you need is a DisplayPort video card or an Atlona AT-DP400 DVI to Mini DisplayPort converter.

10. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I used to be a cheap Charlie with displays until I got my new LG LED TV with IPS display. I won't be cheaping out on displays anymore. If you don't mind the price, go for it. There's a HUGE difference in image quality between the cheap and high end displays.

11. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

If you have a new MacBook Pro, I would wait for an ACD with some kind of Thunderbolt support..

12. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Half of thunderbolt was made to support the miniDisplay connection. That's why older monitors as well as the new 27" Cinema Display with MiniDisplay connections already work with Thunderbolt - it was designed that way.

13. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

I'm buying a MacBook Pro to replace my 3 year old 24" iMac. Over the years I've found that I"m too out of touch when I go on vacations or short trips, and I don't have my computer. I've never owned a laptop, but I knew I'd miss the bigger screen, so I also bought one of the 27" refurb ACD.

I've heard the speakers on my son's MacBook. My iMac sounds wonderful compared to that. Well joy of joys, the ACD has speakers.

I also see the ACD has an iSight camera as well.

If you think about it, the ACD is essentially half an iMac, it's missing the motherboard and the drives. What would be a fair price for half a 27" iMac. Well, how about half the price of a 27" iMac.

So yes, if it was just a monitor, it's crazy expensive, but it's more than a typical monitor. That how I justified the purchase.

Waiting for both to arrive.

14. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

It's expensive, but it's also one of the cheapest Apple Cinema Displays Apple has made. I've paid twice as much for a Cinema Display in the past, and the current ones are close enough to their competitors in cost, so why not?
    :D

15. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

In my book a BIG NO.

Never had an Apple display without issues or problems, keep sending em back for
    repair, they send send back fixed in about 6 months use they are ready to be fixed again.

Bad bad bad dirt build up inside the actual panel, not I may add behind the polymar front
    screen. Dead pixels, backlight bleed, basically not good at all........

16. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Good thread good info. Is it overkill to add a 27" Display to a 27" iMac? For some reason I really want this. :D

17. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

the biggest problem is that they dont look good next to each other as they are different heights....

18. jarlag macrumors newbie

Any rumors on new apple cinema displays

Does anyone know of a rumor or heard about Apple possibly updating the Cinema Display in the near future? Especially to reflect a Thunderbolt port?

19. Ashok0 macrumors regular

As far as I know, Apple hasn't hinted at anything. Apple refreshs are typically very slow, so I wouldn't wait for any updates.

20. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I think mini dp works with thunderbolt?

but, I don't have a cinema display but I do have an iMac 27" and it's the same display, they are awesome and you will have trouble going back to a non cinema display after.

21. jarlag macrumors newbie

I was hoping to see something in a 30" new one come out. I guess the 27" will do. Will it also be compatible with a Windows PC in addition to my Macbook Pro 15" 2.66 GHz?

22. jarlag macrumors newbie

You believe the 27" Cinema Display that currently sells will be there for a while?

23. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I love my ACD, it makes working on projects almost "enjoyable".