Is the Apple extreme the best router for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Amnak, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Let's start at the beginning... I had Verizon Fios and they gave us this router http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=189 I just switched Comcast and had to start using my old Wireless G router the common Linksys one; this router is craping out on me and is rather slow. The router I had with Verizon was able to go through 3 levels of my house. Is the Apple Wireless Extreme the best router for me? my internet is also the 15mb tier just like it was on verizon so essentially they should be the same speed with a better router right? thanks in advanced

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

G vs. N is only really for file transfer and distance, they won't make the internet faster.

That said the extreme is nice as in my experience it just works. I have mine and never have to reset it. Setting it up is a breeze as well.

There are cheaper units, but the extreme is a nice, dependable and works great.

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Just a tip, I have the same router and it craped out on me. After a while of playing with it I saw it was like on the first firmware for it and there were like 50 new ones. So I upgraded it and put a lock on it and it is so much better now.

4. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

I was planning on a refurb apple extreme because it's a great discount...it's apple so I'm sure it's reliable right?

5. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

I've had absolutely no problems with my Airport Extreme. It was also much easier to set up than any of the other ones I've had over the years.

My previous router was OK, but had frequent stumbles and would often conk out when using my iPad.

The Extreme has some neat features that I don't use yet like the ability to share a USB hard drive or printer. I'm not quite sure which to choose.

If you can afford one, I'd say get the Extreme. The ease of setup and lack of troubles makes it worthwhile.

Have Fun,
    Keri

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I love my AEBS. The refurb ones are a great deal!

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would first check to see if there is a firmware update for your Linksys router, or, better yet, to see if your model is compatible with the fantastic Tomato firmware, which is bar-none the best router software I've ever seen. If so, install that and be set until you really need the hardware features of a new router.

If you must buy a new one, the Airport Extreme is a little on the expensive side, but considered one of the better, more reliable routers in the consumer market.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Can't go wrong with the AEBS. I've had mine for about a year and issue free thus far. It just works! And the guest network is handy.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

AEBS seems to play nice with with other components including my Samsung Blu Ray--and works flawlessly with Apple products. I wouldn't use anything else myself. :)

11. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I update my router I didn't even know that was possible hopefully that solves the issues of disconnecting... If not and it's just going bad I think I'll deffinatly pick up an APE ....the only real problem is my brothers game systems which I think only support wireless B like the DS and PSP

12. TheZA macrumors regular

You should also consider the Airport Express. Refurbished ones from Apple are only about $70. I'm extremely happy with mine. Very easy set up and everything works well. The only slight difficulty was getting Windows machines (XP) on the network. There are a couple of hoops to jump through for Windows machines, but search the web for adding windows to airport base station and there are several good directions I found. You would have the same hoops for Windows whether Airport Express or Extreme.

I'm now wanting to get another Airport Express to hook up to my sterio. That is something else to consider: Airport Express has Airtunes, whereas Extreme does not. Now Extreme can hook up to 50 people (Express only 10), and Extreme has a couple of LAN ports - so what do you need?

13. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

well 50 is massive now from my understanding airport express is not a stand alone router right?

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes it is but you can't use the Ethernet port for clients since it will be connected to the modem. It's range is not as good as the Extreme.

15. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

As of now my router hasn't had a freak out ,but I need to test my range because thats always an issue... can i connect my wireless G to an Airport extreme?

16. TheZA macrumors regular

Both Extreme and Express can do either or both bands simultaneously. I think the Extreme has a better way of doing them simultaneously, but you wouldn't likly note a difference in dual band performance unless transferring files between computers.

17. joudbren macrumors regular

Pretty sure only the Extreme is "simultaneous" dual band. Express is dual band but I don't think both radios can be broadcasting at the same time. Cheers!

James

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. If you set your G router in bridge mode and use your Extreme as the DHCP server, or the other way around if you want.

19. TheZA macrumors regular

My terminology was wrong. Probably still is. But whatever. There is a mode in the Express, something like it is compatable n. It senses, and converts, or something. In any event, you can connect both n and g stuff to it. I'm assuming then everything starts running at g spead when a g-device is connected whereas the Extreme is running true duel signals so n stays n when g is connected.