Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revyaanshu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Hi, so I recently bought the ipad pro 12.9 2018 256gb as my main computer. Currently I am using it with a generic case and a Logitech bluetooth keyboard. I am a heavy user with lots of typing!

My question is, is spending another $250 worth for the keyboard folio? ( Yes it costs 250 in my country!). I had one for my 9.7 pro but it wore out and stopped working in just 1.5 years owing to my heavy use. So not a great experience there. Are the keys any different for the older ones?

It's not like I am unhappy with my current setup, it's a little cumbersome for carrying around the keyboard separately. Plus there are no other legitimate alternatives. Logitech one is still not out! And brydge doesn't launch their stuff here...

Appreciate the help!

revyaanshu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
I use my quite a bit for programming over a ssh connection. The material on many of my keys is already worn looking. I have the Brydge keyboard pre-ordered to replace it.

Oh. In that case, it seems nothing much has changed in the materials and build of the keyboard. Mine too wore out pretty soon. But the old smart connector was the biggest let down... Used to not get a connection. Any such issues in this version?

Reactions: Donfor39

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Well, for one thing the Apple Smart Keyboard for the 12.9” for has true full-size 19 mm key spacing.

Overall it’s decent but not amazing.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Anyone know if the keyboard works in games too? I would love to play grid, and be able to drive with the WASD keys. That would be great, and many other normal keyboard uses too.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Pretty much any other bluetooth keyboard, including Apple's own "Magic" keyboards, works better and is a lot cheaper.

Reactions: revyaanshu

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Is there any difference between the old one and this in case you have used both? How has been your experience?
Yea I had the one for the 10.5” and now the new one. The new one definitely is more sturdy! The old one felt better in the hand when holding the device. What I still hate about the new one is the inability to fold the keyboard behind the screen when watching movies. But overall it’s just super convenient.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Does 11" Smart Keyboard continue from 10.5 and use smart connector.
Only asking as I was on 3rd ask before trading in 10.5
Never established if it was keyboards failing or fault with 10.5 smart connection.
11" ask to be ordered when in stock once again.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Pretty much any other bluetooth keyboard, including Apple's own "Magic" keyboards, works better and is a lot cheaper.
The feel on the Apple Magic keyboard is way better.

However, it’s a big device, and it’s completely separate. I never wanted to carry it around. Furthermore, pairing can sometimes be finicky.

With the iPad Pro Smart Keyboard, it doubles as a cover, and there is no pairing involved at all. I much prefer having that to the Magic Keyboard.

Does 11" Smart Keyboard continue from 10.5 and use smart connector.
Only asking as I was on 3rd ask before trading in 10.5
Never established if it was keyboards failing or fault with 10.5 smart connection.
11" ask to be ordered when in stock once again.
11” also uses the Smart Connector, and the keyboard layout and feel is almost identical to the one for the 10” Pro. The main difference is the location of the Smart Connector, the presence of two viewing positions on the 11” model instead of one on the 10.5”, and the way it folds up.

revyaanshu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Yea I had the one for the 10.5” and now the new one. The new one definitely is more sturdy! The old one felt better in the hand when holding the device. What I still hate about the new one is the inability to fold the keyboard behind the screen when watching movies. But overall it’s just super convenient.

OK. You mean the stability while using. My question or rather my concern is with the typing experience. A few minutes at the store isn't giving me a good enough idea of typing is any better that the previous version.

revyaanshu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Anyone know if the keyboard works in games too? I would love to play grid, and be able to drive with the WASD keys. That would be great, and many other normal keyboard uses too.

I don't think it does... Atlst did not work on my old 9.7 pro and the smart keyboard. Not sure if anything changed in the new one.

revyaanshu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018

Agree.. Thats what I am doing now... Much better typing experience. But the problem or rather inconvenience is to carry it separately in the bag.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I think its one of the best typing experiences.. I use mine on my 11" all the time, can type just as fast as on the magic keyboard. This is a must have accessory for the iPad, if you use it for typing, on the go. I only use my macbook for software development, and music production now :)

The only minus, is missing backlight - can't see how they missed that one... but hey, maybe a reason to make us upgrade in the autumn? :confused:

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Agree.. Thats what I am doing now... Much better typing experience. But the problem or rather inconvenience is to carry it separately in the bag.

This is the whole issue in a nutshell.

Most separate keyboards provide a better user experience while actually typing, but the ASK is always there and ready.

As a recent new iPad (12.9 gen 3) owner I have gone the ASK route because it works for my mix of usage. If I did more typing I might well think it worth it to have the extra hassle of a separate keyboard.

I also find the ASK combo works well for propping up while reading or watching TV.

I would concede the ASK is heavy.....I am surprised how light the bare iPad feels on its own.

It's a very personal choice.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
OK. You mean the stability while using. My question or rather my concern is with the typing experience. A few minutes at the store isn't giving me a good enough idea of typing is any better that the previous version.
Typing is the same as before. I like it actually, believe it’s just a matter of habit.

skyehigh13

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Complete waste of money , i bought an ebay £20 unit and am delighted with it.

Last edited:

revyaanshu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Typing is the same as before. I like it actually, believe it’s just a matter of habit.

If the typing is the same as before, I don't think it's gonna work well for me... Sad! Waiting for the Logitech keyboard to come... Any news on that?

revyaanshu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
This is the whole issue in a nutshell.

Most separate keyboards provide a better user experience while actually typing, but the ASK is always there and ready.

As a recent new iPad (12.9 gen 3) owner I have gone the ASK route because it works for my mix of usage. If I did more typing I might well think it worth it to have the extra hassle of a separate keyboard.

I also find the ASK combo works well for propping up while reading or watching TV.

I would concede the ASK is heavy.....I am surprised how light the bare iPad feels on its own.

It's a very personal choice.

I am ok with the weight as it usually is in my backpack or propped on a desk. I just wished the typing was better. A little more travel or feel would have done it for me...

Plus factoring in 250 bucks! Phew! May wait a few months for a price drop or a sale. Till then separate keyboard it is! Or maybe the Logitech keyboard case iffff it comes out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.