Is the apple protection plan worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Say What??, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Say What?? macrumors member

I'm buying a mac soon and am wondering if I should buy the apple protection plan. I'm getting a MBP. My friend told me that warrenties are a waste of money and that is where most companies make their money. I questioned this so I'm asking you all.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Personally, I think the warranty's value depends on what computer you buy and how long you are planning on keeping it. If you are buying a MacBook Pro, and plan on keeping it for 2+ years, I would definitely get AppleCare for it.

3. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

'Don't leave store without it.'

I have owned a total of four laptops. All but one had coverage. I discovered bad memory on the motherboard on the used one I purchased without coverage so it eventually was scrapped in the recycle bin.

Two of the laptops required repairs that made AppleCare worthwhile (replacement motherboard, power supply, and DVD drive). The fourth is a certified used PowerBook just purchased about a month ago (with a third-party 3-year extended warranty) so has not had need of any repairs.

I also have AppleCare on my iMac. These cramped devices are very difficult to work on for 90 percent of users. Minimum service fee for out of warranty products at Apple is $300, not including parts. One repair typically pays for the cost of AppleCare.

BTW, you can shop for AppleCare warranties online. They will sometimes be less expensive than available direct from Apple. If you really want to save green, consider a third-party warranty like that available from SquareTrade. In such cases, you may have to pay for repairs and get reimbursed or send your laptop to an authorized repair shop instead of taking it to the Apple Store.

4. Say What?? thread starter macrumors member

Are third party warrienties safe? I feel like it would be an easy way to scam someone. I considered getting a best buy warrienties. Do you know if those are reliable, or any cheaper?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are going to buy AppleCare buy it on eBay after you have purchased your Mac. You can save 40-50% off of the retail price that Apple charges.

Example: $219 + no tax vs Apple's $349.

6. skwij macrumors 6502

Definately get the Applecare. Even one repair on a laptop will more than justify having Applecare.

Search eBay for Applecare, just make sure it's for your particular computer (ie AC for a Macbook won't work with a MacbookPro).