Is the Apple Remote necessary?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iWoz, Nov 3, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I really do like the look of the new apple remotes, However will I actually use it? Isn't that what the mouse is for if you're sitting infront of your iMac :eek:

2. markiv810 macrumors regular

You can use the remote in Keynote presentations, Plex, for Front Row, increasing and decreasing volume. I think the remote should also work on PowerPoint 2008, there must be a few third party utilities that enable use of Apple Remote for other applications too. I would say Apple Remote is a good buy.

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Sold!!:D

4. IChing macrumors regular

I use my iPod Touch instead of the apple remote

I use Rowmote app, air mouse app and apple's own remote app to manipulate
    my iMac with my Touch.

It allows me to manipulate front row, Boxee, DVD player, eyeTV, finder, Hulu, iTunes, iTunes visualizer, iphoto, keynote, plex, powerpoint, quicktime, safari etc.

From my couch.

5. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Wow really like the idea of rowmote pro, thanks for the heads up on this one!!

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

But the physical remote is always there. You want to pause something, pick it up, press play/pause. Done. Apps you'll first need to pick up your phone, unlock it and/or press home button, wait for the app to load/connect blah blah, then you hit pause.

7. IChing macrumors regular

I lost my remote that came with my iMac but use the touch now for everything. You can prevent device sleep and stay connected thus having no delay problems with rowmote pro.

I liked the remote that came with my iMac and thought about ordering another but once I got my touch I found it does more
    'remotely' than my old remote ever did.

I like the new remotes from apple but my touch does everything I want it to just fine.