Is The Apple Store Still Replacing Palm Rests?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mutinygraphiks, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

on the white unibody macbooks mines a 2008 late and my palm rest is chipping in the right corner.

here is a picture of the damage from the magnets.

[​IMG]

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

3. Mutinygraphiks thread starter macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

ok thank god, i hate the fact the magnets over time have done this to my macbook i also have spider cracks on the left side as well. I have been reading up on the past threads about this are they also still replacing trackpad, keyboard, and mouse button?

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

The top case is one piece. The entire top case (including keyboard, power button, and trackpad) is replaced as a unit.

Also, on the white model, the screen bezel is usually replaced.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yeap this! Got my white macbook 2007 kb and bezel replaced twice already.

6. Mutinygraphiks thread starter macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

thanks good to know i made an appointment for this saturday through the new apple store app from my iphone hahah.

7. laptoplover2 macrumors member

They do it for free ?!
    I have a bunch of scratches and you can almost see faint green circles from a sharpie, they'll still replace it for free?
    Wow that's awesome.

8. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

So long as the front edge is cracked off like the OP, then yes, they'll replace it for free. They recently replaced the top case on my 2006 Core Duo MacBook :)

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

They replaced the screen bezel on my black MacBook when I went in.

10. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Have any of you had it replaced THIS MONTH? I heard they stopped the program last month

And to OP, you will probably lose your stickers! haha

11. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

As was already suggested on the thread you created: ASK APPLE.

(1-800-MY-APPLE)

I work for an AASP and I have replaced them as early as Oct 12th, free of charge.

Apple isn't a mythical beast, they have internal protocols like any company and expecting outsiders to know them better than the people who work there (who are just a phone call away) is ridiculous.

12. MOKHAN, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I'm not expecting people to know them better than the company itself, I didn't even imply that
    I simply came to MacRumors for the answer to a yes or no question, I would hardly consider the members of MacRumors "outsiders", as they do have relevant knowledge on the topic (example, YOU)

Why am I not calling Apple? (as you have so kindly reminded me twice)
    I'm at the library, getting up and leaving would involve me packing up, going outside (risking losing my table), making the call, and coming back in...

EDIT: Damn, sorry I was a little (or a lot) rude. Thanks for your info

God! I think I'm bipolar...

13. broad macrumors member

the program runs for 4 years from date of purchase.

14. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

My bad, MOKHAN, I got out of hand myself. If you want to PM me your MBs serial # I will run it in the internal system and see if the part is covered.

15. Stoutman11 macrumors member

Can anyone tell me how long it takes them to replace this? If i schedule a genuis bar appointment can they do it right in the store less than 30 minutes?

16. heyloo macrumors 6502

Ugh...I wish I'd known... I sold my Blackbook few weeks back, so don't have it with me but...

If I had known about this free repair, I'd have taken it. My top case had the chip for a couple years and last month, I was fixing something 'under the hood' and accidentally broke the cable that hooks up the top case to the board. I ended up buying a new top case for $100 just before selling :( Wish I'd have known!

17. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, they will hold it and notify you when it's done. Took less than 24 hours when I took it in.

18. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

We woud be required to deny the repair if you caused damage to the part we were trying to replace under warranty.

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

They replaced mine Nov 9th but the machine is still under 1yr and has Applecare to boot. Dropped it off one day had it back next afternoon.

20. myrtlebee macrumors 68010

myrtlebee

That is not a white unibody MacBook. This is a white unibody MacBook (they do not have issues with chipping palmrests):

[​IMG]

21. malman89 macrumors 68000

I have the Late 2006 model, purchased in March of 2007. I had this replaced Summer 2010 (so outside warranty) for free.

It has cracked yet again (in fact even worse than before) at my right wrist resting place, so I'll hopefully get it changed again sometime this week.

Last time it took them about 50 minutes at the downtown Chicago/Michigan Ave store. I just stayed in goofing around on the other Apple items since it was so brief.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm interested in seeing if they will. Mine is pretty bad. I've already had it replaced twice and this time I've got 3 inches gone on the right (same place as the OP's but a lot longer) I'd given up because it was out of my AppleCare warranty.

23. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I'm interested in knowing too. Keep us updated! Thanks

24. Dcentuori macrumors newbie

Wow! Just yesterday I noticed a crack on my MacBook and taped it up figuring the wife or kids dropped it. I just thought to look this up in case it was flaw--it did seem to line up exactly with the tab where the magnets are! And this is exactly it! I'll call tomorrow!

Does anyone know of any other common issues with this model's case that I should look out for?

Thanks!

Dante

early 2008 White 13" MacBook 4,1; 2.4 GHz C2D; 2GB; 160 GB; 10.6.8

25. Mutinygraphiks thread starter macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

they were going to replace mine free of charge but instead of same day service they said because of the 4s launch they couldnt do it in one day it would be all weekend and i could get it back on monday.

i said no, and took my macbook back ill end up doing it soon i have to back up my data as im a graphic designer id lose everything and that cannot happen.