Is the Apple SuperDrive as bad as they say?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by taptic, May 21, 2015.

1. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

There are quite a lot of reviews about it on Apple's website's... Half seem to love it, half seem to hate it. Anyone have any real experience with the thing?

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Am I the only one that has never heard of an "M-Disk" before? :confused:

4. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Just a new disk that is excellent for long term storage needs that doesn't degrade as easily as other optical media or magnetic storage over time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

5. California macrumors 68040

California

I loved mine, but it only works with certain Macs without the hack. What i particularly liked was the aluminum enclosure.

6. Ifti macrumors 68000

Hardly ever use mine, but on the odd occasion I have used it, its been spot on.

7. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

I wouldn't bother with a SuperDrive when you can get non-Apple alternatives for a lot less. You can probably get one for less than 1/3 the cost of a SuperDrive.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Mechanical drives fail. I wouldn't spend $70 for a DVD drive, when you can get a Samsung or Asus for $20. You could replace 3 of them for the same price as one Superdrive. How often do you really need an optical drive anyway?

Myself, I use Samsung Blu-Ray drives with my Macs so that I can rip Blu-Ray's and they run about the same cost as a Superdrive that can't do Blu-Ray.

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I bought a apple superdrive and used it for about 3 weeks. Then I realized being able to play blue ray discs would be nice. So I spent more money getting something that basically did what the superdrive did plus more. So now the superdrive sits in a drawer. It was a waste of money. Better to get something that can play and burn blue rays for the same cost.

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I don't think it's bad, but overpriced. I just needed a drive to import some CDs and play an occasional movie. I bought a $30 Samsung USB 3 drive and it was fine.

11. jeffreyfranz macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

Nope, you are one of two. I'm the other one. :)

----------

What he said. I never use my Superdrive. That I thought I needed one probably reflects my age more than anything else. Apple overprices all their peripherals. I would not buy it again. Except, it does look good next to my Air.