Is the Apple TV worth the price?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bigpoppamac31, Sep 13, 2017.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

So in Canada the 4th Gen Apple TV is $199 and the new 4K Apple TV is $229 and and $249 respectively. Is it worth the price compared to other streaming options like Roku? Also do other streaming devices like Roku need anything like a Google account?

2. Tech198 macrumors G5

You'll need Google account to play or rent on Roku... The same as Apple TV

If you get a 4K TV now, or planning to get one, then ya, get a AppleTV 4K. Otherwise, no

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't yet have a 4K TV. But even the previous gen Apple TV is $199. Is that even sensible price compared to the competition?

4. Tech198 macrumors G5

It's a personal choice... I see the price as ok as i live in the Apple eco-system,, but others may not....

5. archer75 macrumors 68020

I wouldn't use a roku as your comparing device. The Nvidia Shield really sets the benchmark for streaming devices.

6. iFan83 macrumors regular

Im also in Canada and I think the price is fine, sure it would be nice if it was a bit cheaper but this is Apple after all. With this being 4K and HDR it should have a long life span. I'm planning on cutting my cable in favour of doing season pass on iTunes and have Netflix and CraveTV, so with this new AppleTV it will replace my old AppleTV, my cable box and my blu ray player, for thats worth the $229 price!.

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

I've heard of the Nvidia Shield. What kind of account do you need with that to download Apps and content?

8. archer75 macrumors 68020

It's Android tv so a Google account. The advantage of the shield is it supports nearly all formats. Plays anything. It's also quite powerful so you can game on it as well.

9. Rigby macrumors 601

Depends on what you want to do with it. The ATV is the only device that'll give you access to the iTunes movie store and let's you Airplay from iOS devices. Many people think Apple's user interface is nicer, but that's obviously a matter of taste.

Apple sells refurbished ATV4s for about $20 off (at least in the US, not sure about Canada).
    You need at least a Roku account to be able to add channels (see here). If you want to rent/buy movies, you'll also need an account from the provider you want to use, such as e.g. Amazon or Google.

10. lvavila macrumors member

Many will disagree with me... I own a Firestick (no long use) a Roku (for composite projection tv) and 2 ATVs. I look at the ATV as a Lexis (car) and the others as Honda/Toyota's. I simply look a the ATV 3 or 4 as higher end devices. But they will all stream (or get you from point A to point B). I find (my opinion) the ATV's navigation (which is not perfect), usage and experience just better. Sling, Firetruck and Roku all feel like < 2005 interfaces. I have not see Chromecast so I comment not.

11. NukeDuke macrumors member

Nevidia Shield is more expensive than apple tv5 on amazon.ca

12. cardfan macrumors 68000

We saw discounts around 75 or so last year during holiday sales. May be the same this year. Worth 199? Probably not if you can find it for 150 soon enough. If you're in the Apple ecosystem, there's really no comparison between the others. I find the xbox one S the next best thing and a 4k blu ray player built in. Games are a bonus.

13. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

I can't stand Microsoft so I'd never buy an Xbox. Maybe I'd get a PS4 though. But I'll keep an eye out in case the ATV goes on sale.

14. robgendreau macrumors 68040

One needs to figure out first where you wanna get your content. For example, if you have Amazon Prime and want to see those 4k series ATV isn't gonna help. I don't think it can do YouTube 4k right now either. Lots of other devices, maybe even just your HDTV, might be able to access the streaming services you want. If so, skip the pricey ATV. It's only now catching up with other products, and doesn't offer much that's unique, unless you are heavily invested already in Apple-provided content that requires Apple products to play.

15. jase1125 macrumors 6502

Own all, Apple TV 4th Gen, Roku and Fire. The Apple TV is by far more frustrating from a usability standpoint. The UI is great, but is form over function. The remote is a abject failure. Complete crap. However, if you are invested in the iTunes ecosystem then there is only one choice. Personally, the FireTV is better. Remote massively better.

16. Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

Bear in mind, Apple TV supports AirPlay, will soon support AirPlay 2, and can be used as a HomeKit hub. I don't think the other streaming boxes can be used as smart home hubs. You have to go with Google Home and Amazon Echo for that functionality, which means buying another device.

17. jase1125 macrumors 6502

Actually the next FireTV which as leaked will have Alexa built in. More capability than ATV since Echo is the leader in interoperability with automation devices.

18. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

I do like the Airplay feature but I found it to be spotty when I used it. But that can be said of my Yamaha AV receiver also. So far for me to use Airplay without connection break ups I need to use an Airport Express with optical audio out to my receiver.

19. archer75 macrumors 68020

Nvidia shield can be used as a samsung smartthings hub and it integrates chromecast. Google home and amazon echo are not hubs. They can just interface with them.
    I have several smart switches, lights, thermostat, smoke detector, etc. and non of them worth with homekit.

20. Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

From what I hear, that new device will be similar to an Echo Dot. I don't know what the price or release date will be, though.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    The Nvidia Shield is a cool device. Doesn't it cost more than an Apple TV?

21. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

If you have a lot of iTunes content, like I do, then the Apple TV is a no brainer. If you don't really have a lot of iTunes movies or TV shows, there are cheaper options to access things like Netflix and Hulu.

22. archer75 macrumors 68020

$199 same as atv 64gb. Can be found on sale as well.

23. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

The main reason I have an Apple TV is because I have Apple everything else, and I want a "unity" among my devices. Such that I can listen to podcasts on my phone and have them appear on the Apple TV where I left off, etc. I don't think the new Apple TV is worth it unless you have a 4K TV as others have said, though.

24. Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

I totally agree, which is why I hope to get a refurb version of the gen 4 instead of gen 5.

25. cynics macrumors G4

I feel it's worth it. Although something's value is subjective based on what someone values.

For security reasons I prefer HomeKit so for me it's a no brainer.

Plus I have an all Apple eco system so things like AirPlay and iTunes are a requirement.

If those things aren't important to you then there maybe another streaming boxes that might work better for you.