Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reinke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Hi all,

First of, im by no means an athlete, I run 2-3 times a week and once in a while I swim.
My current setup is my iPhone strapped to my arm with normal headset. I use the nike+ app to track my runs and play music through Spotify premium.

I generally like the idea of more health tracking (I love stats) such as HR and a more accurate step tracker. I also like the idea of closing rings to motivate me :).

The problem is: I can't find a solution for running a listening to music. I know Spotify made an app, which I can't use without my phone, so that won't help much. Currently my nike+ app on my iPhone plays my playlist through Spotify, can the Apple Watch do that?

If not, it seems like more trouble to acquire the watch and run with that.
Is there a solution I don't know about? I know about Apple Music, but im very satisfied with Spotify :).

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The other music solution currently is Pandora - the watch can play Pandora I believe both connected and offline. If you have some power tracks you could also buy the music you need on the run in iTunes and that would be available on the watch (or iTunes Match to get it).

Reinke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
The other music solution currently is Pandora - the watch can play Pandora I believe both connected and offline. If you have some power tracks you could also buy the music you need on the run in iTunes and that would be available on the watch (or iTunes Match to get it).

Well that is certainly interesting. That means its not apple who are blocking Spotify from making offline playlists! It's simply not a feature Spotify have developed yet.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Well that is certainly interesting. That means its not apple who are blocking Spotify from making offline playlists! It's simply not a feature Spotify have developed yet.
Correct - watchOS 5 brought audio capabilities to 3rd parties. There is also an Audible app so you can sync your books over and listen (it is one of the better audio apps out there - really polished - full chapter support etc.)

There are also a crap ton of podcast apps (Outcast is my favorite).

My hope is more music apps do come out. I’d imagine Spotify will improve their app over time to include this.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Hi all,

First of, im by no means an athlete, I run 2-3 times a week and once in a while I swim.
My current setup is my iPhone strapped to my arm with normal headset. I use the nike+ app to track my runs and play music through Spotify premium.

I generally like the idea of more health tracking (I love stats) such as HR and a more accurate step tracker. I also like the idea of closing rings to motivate me :).

The problem is: I can't find a solution for running a listening to music. I know Spotify made an app, which I can't use without my phone, so that won't help much. Currently my nike+ app on my iPhone plays my playlist through Spotify, can the Apple Watch do that?

If not, it seems like more trouble to acquire the watch and run with that.
Is there a solution I don't know about? I know about Apple Music, but im very satisfied with Spotify :).

Have you tried Apple Music? If not there is a three month trial so try it out m. You can always go back with Spotify. Only option i think

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Some of the garmin devices might work. Spotify works over there although some things like podcasts are a bit rough, a playlist would probably be fine.

To be honest I wear my Fenix more than the AW4 these days although if I wasn’t running with a specific target, and just running the AW would be the choice.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I have Apple Music, so I’m not sure about Spotify and it’s Apple Watch integration. With Apple Music, you can download your playlists and still have NRC play them during your run. I would think if NRC plays your Spotify playlists during your run, it’s be something similar as long as there’s a Spotify Apple Watch app that lets you download your playlists for offline/untethered playback from the watch. Not pushing Apple Musuc in you but as @Closingracer said, there’s a free three moth trial so you could give it try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.