Is the Apple Watch safe to wear?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by viachicago22, Mar 19, 2015.

1. viachicago22, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015

viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

There was an article in the New York Times yesterday concerning the safety of wearables. The conclusion was the Apple Watch should be safe because it doesn't use a cell signal and Bluetooth signals are not considered harmful. Does anyone have any concerns regardless?

The article is worth a read. (I'm sorry for the crude copy and paste, I'm on my phone and when I go to desktop site and try to create a link Safari crashes.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/s...garettes.html?smprod=nytnow&smid=nytnow-share

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No problem. 3rd party accessory vendors will be selling these to the needlessly worried in addition to ruggedized plastic cases and screen protectors. Unfortunately, they only match the SS Watch Edition.

[​IMG]

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I cant see Apple spending millions on developing something and marketing something thats not safe!

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have no concerns whatsoever

"To him who is in fear everything rustles."
    -Sophocles

5. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

There also haven't been any studies that show any adverse health affects from cell phones.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Neither do I.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The media makes their money by selling fear. Once you realize that, you'll have a lot more time to focus on pron.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Only if you're not allergic to electromagnetic waves....

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'd be more worried about your iPhone (that does actually emit a small amount of radiation) sitting next to your testicals.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am loving the newest version of the tinfoil hat!

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Your cellphone has a close proximity to your testicles when it's in your pocket. Are you concerned with radiation? If not, don't worry about wearables.

13. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

These forums are known to engage in a bit of fear-mongering. The Sports watch, for example, will scratch to bits within seconds of opening the box, because it lacks a sapphire screen, which is the only thing that can protect it from the harsh fibres in your shirt. The SS watch's screen will be safe, but the metal will be covered in scratches from those same aggressive shirt fibres.

And don't get me started on galvanic corrosion. Huge lumps of molten metal will drip from the watch onto your wrists and cause disfiguring burns.

So, good luck with that. You'll be grateful for the sweet release of death the wrist cancer will give you from all the bluetooth rays.

14. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Hahaha, gave me a good laugh! ;)

15. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Hah! You're the best. Is the new episode good? I haven't seen it yet.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Cell phones and smart watches do NOT produce any ionizing radiation at all. The radiation radios waves produce is the same as the radiation in light just at a lower frequency than we can see. If our eyes could detect lower frequencies and we could see radio waves we wouldn't have an irrational fear. We are only fearful because we can't see it (the monster under the bed).

Sensationalist click bait is all this is.

17. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

Sensationalist link bait. It's very sad really. The state of reporting is scary.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I was being sarcastic. I know cellphones are safe.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, I understand that but when someone uses the WORD radiation people automatically freak out without any understanding of what context it is used.;)

20. viachicago22 thread starter macrumors 6502

viachicago22

I tend to agree. And the doctor they quote in the article, Dr Mercola, he's an infomercial doctor who seems quite similar to the imprisioned Kevin Trudeau to me. So I don't think there's much to it. Although, I am now worried about my testicles.

21. jcsuzeta macrumors newbie

You made my day! Thanks!

22. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

You should be more worried about the phone sitting next to your testicles. If it isn't your phone, then it's everyone else phone nearby that's radiating it.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Radiation!!!!!

/runsforthehills

24. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Why? As had been said before in this thread, cell signals are not ionizing radiation. Other than generating a very small amount of heat, they have no effect on cell tissue.

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It was a joke based on the question