Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
There was an article in the New York Times yesterday concerning the safety of wearables. The conclusion was the Apple Watch should be safe because it doesn't use a cell signal and Bluetooth signals are not considered harmful. Does anyone have any concerns regardless?

The article is worth a read. (I'm sorry for the crude copy and paste, I'm on my phone and when I go to desktop site and try to create a link Safari crashes.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/s...garettes.html?smprod=nytnow&smid=nytnow-share

Last edited by a moderator:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No problem. 3rd party accessory vendors will be selling these to the needlessly worried in addition to ruggedized plastic cases and screen protectors. Unfortunately, they only match the SS Watch Edition.

zo52e8c76b.jpg

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I cant see Apple spending millions on developing something and marketing something thats not safe!

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
There was an article in the New York Times yesterday concerning the safety of wearables. The conclusion was the Apple Watch should be safe because it doesn't use a cell signal and Bluetooth signals are not considered harmful.

There also haven't been any studies that show any adverse health affects from cell phones.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
There was an article in the New York Times yesterday concerning the safety of wearables. The conclusion was the Apple Watch should be safe because it doesn't use a cell signal and Bluetooth signals are not considered harmful. Does anyone have any concerns regardless?

The article is worth a read. (I'm sorry for the crude copy and paste, I'm on my phone and when I go to desktop site and try to create a link Safari crashes.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/s...garettes.html?smprod=nytnow&smid=nytnow-share

The media makes their money by selling fear. Once you realize that, you'll have a lot more time to focus on pron.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'd be more worried about your iPhone (that does actually emit a small amount of radiation) sitting next to your testicals.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No problem. 3rd party accessory vendors will be selling these to the needlessly worried in addition to ruggedized plastic cases and screen protectors. Unfortunately, they only match the SS Watch Edition.

I am loving the newest version of the tinfoil hat!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Your cellphone has a close proximity to your testicles when it's in your pocket. Are you concerned with radiation? If not, don't worry about wearables.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
The media makes their money by selling fear.

These forums are known to engage in a bit of fear-mongering. The Sports watch, for example, will scratch to bits within seconds of opening the box, because it lacks a sapphire screen, which is the only thing that can protect it from the harsh fibres in your shirt. The SS watch's screen will be safe, but the metal will be covered in scratches from those same aggressive shirt fibres.

And don't get me started on galvanic corrosion. Huge lumps of molten metal will drip from the watch onto your wrists and cause disfiguring burns.

So, good luck with that. You'll be grateful for the sweet release of death the wrist cancer will give you from all the bluetooth rays.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
These forums are known to engage in a bit of fear-mongering. The Sports watch, for example, will scratch to bits within seconds of opening the box, because it lacks a sapphire screen, which is the only thing that can protect it from the harsh fibres in your shirt. The SS watch's screen will be safe, but the metal will be covered in scratches from those same aggressive shirt fibres.

And don't get me started on galvanic corrosion. Huge lumps of molten metal will drip from the watch onto your wrists and cause disfiguring burns.

So, good luck with that. You'll be grateful for the sweet release of death the wrist cancer will give you from all the bluetooth rays.

Hahaha, gave me a good laugh! ;)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Your cellphone has a close proximity to your testicles when it's in your pocket. Are you concerned with radiation? If not, don't worry about wearables.

Cell phones and smart watches do NOT produce any ionizing radiation at all. The radiation radios waves produce is the same as the radiation in light just at a lower frequency than we can see. If our eyes could detect lower frequencies and we could see radio waves we wouldn't have an irrational fear. We are only fearful because we can't see it (the monster under the bed).

Sensationalist click bait is all this is.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Cell phones and smart watches do NOT produce any ionizing radiation at all. The radiation radios waves produce is the same as the radiation in light just at a lower frequency than we can see. If our eyes could detect lower frequencies and we could see radio waves we wouldn't have an irrational fear. We are only fearful because we can't see it (the monster under the bed).

Sensationalist click bait is all this is.

I was being sarcastic. I know cellphones are safe.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Sensationalist link bait. It's very sad really. The state of reporting is scary.

I tend to agree. And the doctor they quote in the article, Dr Mercola, he's an infomercial doctor who seems quite similar to the imprisioned Kevin Trudeau to me. So I don't think there's much to it. Although, I am now worried about my testicles.

jcsuzeta

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015

You made my day! Thanks!

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
You should be more worried about the phone sitting next to your testicles. If it isn't your phone, then it's everyone else phone nearby that's radiating it.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
I'd be more worried about your iPhone (that does actually emit a small amount of radiation) sitting next to your testicals.

You should be more worried about the phone sitting next to your testicles. If it isn't your phone, then it's everyone else phone nearby that's radiating it.

Why? As had been said before in this thread, cell signals are not ionizing radiation. Other than generating a very small amount of heat, they have no effect on cell tissue.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Why? As had been said before in this thread, cell signals are not ionizing radiation. Other than generating a very small amount of heat, they have no effect on cell tissue.

It was a joke based on the question

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.