Is the Apple Watch worth it? (for me)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleRyan, May 14, 2015.

1. AppleRyan macrumors newbie

I love everything Apple, I am interested in the apple watch, HOWEVER.....

I cant bring it to work. I work in a correctional facility(medical) and they will not allow any phone or "smart device" for obvious reasons.

So i would probably only wear it on the weekend and after work...

Would you still buy one if you couldnt wear it all the time?

2. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I would say yes. You aren't allowed to use your phone at work either, so you are going to be disconnected there either way.

All the more reason to be better connected in your free time

3. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

I can't use my iPhone or my Apple watch at work either. (metal free environment) but I do wear it to work, at lunch and when I get off. Works for me although I don't get all the movement benefits with the activity app. It is still worth it to me.

4. AppleRyan thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the input, im still "on the fence"

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't think the fence is a good place to be at correctional facility. You may get shot for trying to escape. :D

6. eifer macrumors regular

If you want it, just buy it. I don't know how to define "worth it" for you. I don't know how much disposable income you have to play with or how much you like Apple products or how much you would use the functionality the watch offers. If you already wear watches outside of work, then I probably could say that you should go ahead and buy it.

7. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Absolutely! I'm not interested in wearing the watch all the time. I'm interested in it mainly for sporting & fitness activities, which occur after work.

The fact it has to be charged every day, makes this a perfect use scenario -- it's always charged and ready for me to use.

The only thing holding it back from being the perfect device for me is that it doesn't have an IPX8 water-resistance rating so that I can use it in the water.

The optimal use scenario for me is for surfing. With the Watch I don't have to worry about keys, or money, since the watch will lock and unlock my house, and Pay allows me to pay for coffee, or food when I'm at the beach. It also will allow me to track the tides, and give me the time in case I have to cut my session short.

I could care less about notifications, though I appreciate there might be a situation in which that could come in handy -- work is not such an environment. I'm only concerned about fitness tracking when I'm working out, not at work as there are plenty of other ways to make sure I remain active during the day than a taptic reminder on my wrist. And taking phone calls on my wrist is the last thing I ever want to do, especially at work. Otherwise, there's nothing else at work that my iPhone can't do just as well.