Is the Apple Wireless Keyboard covered under Applecare

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stickyfingers85, Aug 31, 2010.

1. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

Hello

I purchased a Macbook Pro about 18 months ago, along with a wireless keyboard and applecare.

The wireless keyboard has now stopped working correctly and i want to know if it should be covered under my applecare warranty as i purchased it with a new mac?

I spoke to Apple on the phone and they say that because the Macbook Pro already has a keyboard, the wireless keyboard is not covered under the AppleCare warranty, is this right?

Cheers

Andy

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not included

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I wanted to comment on this ... even though I don't know the specifics. It seems quite arbitrary as to what gets covered and what doesn't. By the Apple reps comment, an Apple LCD bought with a Macbook shouldn't be covered since the MB already has a screen.

Also, I question why a Airport Basestation gets covered, but a keyboard doesn't. It doesn't make sense to me since I'm guessing that covering a keyboard would be a smaller financial hit to apple than would be a LCD or Airport.

It just seems wierd. Also, Apple's wording ("such as") in Hellhammer's quote leaves a lot of wiggle room in both directions.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it's not something that people usually buy with their laptops. Such as means the products that came with the computer. For example, iMac comes with KB and mouse, they are covered but if it was bought separately (in its own box), then it's not. If you bought the KB with Mini, then it's included.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_English_v5.3.pdf

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MacBook Pro is covered, which includes its built-in display. In addition, a separate display is covered if purchased with the MacBook Pro. It's not hard to understand.
    Because it clearly states that an AirPort Extreme is covered, and it doesn't state that a separate keyboard is covered. They're choosing to cover one type of network device, which isn't included in a MacBook or MacBook Pro.
    There's no "wiggle room", since the quote is:
    A wireless keyboard is not an included accessory with a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Apple replaced both a wired and a wireless keyboard that I didn't even buy with a MacBook Pro!

Back in the days I only had a MacBook Pro, covered with AppleCare though. When I took the keyboards to my local AASP they only wanted to know if I've got a Apple computer that still is under warranty. I did indeed and they gave me a brand new keyboard, twice!

I'd say stop calling Apple, get to your local store or AASP, take the invoice of the MacBook with you and get your keyboard replaced.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

No need to be snarky. If the rep didn't fully understand the terms, then how can you argue that it's not a little confusing. sorry, i misread the OPs conversation with the apple rep

You don't find this a little wierd? Apple will cover a router that was purchased up to 2 years prior to the purchase of a Macbook, but they won't cover a keyboard that was purchased with a Macbook.

The way Hellhammer formatted the quote was confusing. He left out the bullets in the quote, so I thought they were saying that all of those items were "included". I've since looked at the Apple page to see how it's formatted and it's clear that the keyboard isn't covered.

It's just a little strange in what they choose to cover and what they dont.